Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Minor adventures on Cowbell Road and at The Giant

At ten in the morning, my car tiptoed out of the drive b/c today is Milling and Paving Day on our street and I went to the Giant to shop. Yes, yes, I know, it's just like when they predict snow....you've gotta get out before the 'trapped' feeling comes upon you.

With me I brot two pieces of mail, including a condolence card for my friend Helen Kirschner - who runs our daytime support group. Her 93-yo mom died at a retirement home in Lewisburg, PA. I sent an email to key people in the group notifying this and wanted to tell them where Lewisburg was.

Could not find an online map of the entire state, which pinpointed location of Lewisburg. So I called up the chamber of commerce. She didn't give me great info either.

Actually I do have an atlas downstairs but am too lazy to go down and look it up.

In a condolence note, you want to say some of the wonderful things a person did for their loved one which I mentioned. The note will definitely make Helen cry, which is healing.

Bought this 'personal watermelon.' In my Melon Class I took with Mary Ann Moylen, she said that melons are at their peak in July.

As usual, I grabbed an empty box in the produce dept in which to carry out my groceries.

So, I'm wheeling my cart to the car when I see a Papa John delivery man CRASH into a parked car.

It was right in front of me.

BAM! Loud noise. I waited for Papa John to stop but he did not.

I unloaded my groceries and went up to his car which he'd parked at an awkward angle.

"Sir," I said, looking at the older, bearded man inside. "You better see if you damaged that car!"

"Did I?" he said meekly.

"I dunno," I said. "Go look at it."

Then I copied the license plate of the vehicle that was hit. From previous experience, I knew I was sposed to get the make of the car but for the life of me, I didn't recognize the logo. It was long and sorta looked like a deer but it was not a deer.

I would call the cops when I got home and also Papa John.

PS - just drove Scott to the train station and saw the same logo: Suburu.

Meantime, I've gotta get home. Remember, this is Paving and Milling Day.

About an hour ago a Water Truck came by but I was too late to get the foto. Just got a couple shots now.

I know, I'm as excited as the little neighbor boy who keeps riding by, helmet on head.

So I'm coming home on Davisville Road and I come to Keystone Screw. That's the company right behind where I live, separated only by a little woods.

I park in the parking lot - "Cars will be towed, private property" - lock my car and carry the carton of groceries thru the overgrown jungle that is the path that people take to get to Davisville and also to go to school.

I call the Upper Moreland Police Dept where dispatcher Joanna takes my info. She asks what kind of car Papa John drives.

I do not know. A sedan? A van? A station wagon?

A sedan, I say brightly, cursing my non-observance.

See what you think about the photos about the water truck.






Got it! See the water spraying outa the back?

Now, I read the blog of Bill Hess of Wasilla, AK, who is having a terrible medical problem after having part of his bowel removed due to polyps which turned out benign. Some of the hospital staff is inept which is not unusual. In a comment I left him on FB, I told him to be sure to get an experienced phlebotomist and not to use a student intern.

Here's an experience I had yesterday at Quest Diagnostic nearby.

When I go to get my blood drawn - and I do this monthly since I'm weaning off my Prednisone, one of my kidney antirejection meds - I always ask for Emily, as she's the one who can usually get my vein.

Yesterday Emily was off, so I had Tom, a floater.

He visits all my veins, thumping them and massaging them, with no luck.

I am what's called a "hard stick" - my veins do not cooperate. I was wondering if he'd wanna use my neck, as I have a close friend, a former heroin addict, who would stick herself in the neck.

Instead he chose a vein on the back of my left hand.

He used a pediatric butterfly needle.

"Is it coming out?" I asked.

"It's coming," he said.

"Oh, that's good. We only have four tubes to fill."

I asked Tom which was his favorite Quest to work in.

"The one with the least work," he said. "And also closest to home."

He works in Delaware County wherever that is.

I looked at the blood tubes again.

"Still lookin' good," I said.

"Yeah, we're cookin with gas."


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you that you confronted the guy who crashed into the car, took info, called the police, etc. I do think sometimes we are maybe better off just gathering the info and not confronting the perpetrator directly because people are so unpredictable nowadays but you did the right things...

    Delaware Country is where Chester is, where Art is from, and places like Springfield, Media, Linvilla Orchards, etc.

    I know what you mean about phlebotemists. Thelma, the one I liked nearby, has retired and the replacements stink. Maybe they just needmore practice, but not on me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yes, linvilla orchards, great place. how is it that a girl from CT knows more about PA than i do? oh well.

    BTW, i learned this morning that the automobile was a CHEVY IMPALA, as i saw one on my way to the hairdresser's and asked the woman who was driving it.

    ReplyDelete