Friday, June 29, 2012

Healthcare Law Stands!

I was tapping away on my kidney memoir when I felt the strong pull of the online NY Times. When I looked this is what I found:

Hail the date: June 28, 2012. And may it stand, proclaiming healthcare for all, denying no one, the lucky or the unlucky.  How many people are there - I know two out of millions - who have gone bankrupt b/c they spent every last penny fighting to save their lives.

Not to mention the uninsured - 50 million of them -  some of whom simply dropped dead b/c they could not pay to get well.

Many of my fellow kidney recipients fell into the donut hole of their prescription drug Medicare Part D and simply stopped taking their antirejection meds since they'd used up all their rx coverage.

Surely you know what happened to them.

Goodbye Mr. Chips.

The founding fathers of Medicare made one huge mistake. They forgot to include

Okay, you can close your mouth and rinse.

Every few minutes the headlines on the Times changed:


Did you know that Justice Sonia Sotomayor has one of the most expensive diseases there is? Since age 7, she's been a Type 1 Diabetic. I learned that on DiabetesMine.com, my fave diabetes website

The Diabetes Folks are ecstatic the legislation passed. I remember when I went to my Diabetes Support Group and sat at the table with a couple of older guys whose insurance did not cover the convenient PEN-STYLE delivery of insulin, like my own Novolog pen.

The pen-style is a brilliant invention and every person w diabetes should have access to it.

I was outraged that these two men were denied coverage by the greediest, richest, most selfish corporations of our day: health insurers.

And you know what? They didn't seem to mind. 

I went out to water my jardin and was grateful no one told me I could not plant violas intermixed with the darling scarlet pimpernels.

No comments:

Post a Comment