Saturday, June 16, 2012

Coffeeshop Writer's Group - Brucker Returns - Poem: Tunnel of Love

Hi Kym, I waved, as I bought my hot decaf. The Giant Coffeeshop is always cold. 

Linda Barrett arrived with her paraphernalia and a doughnut that looked as if it were decorated with the kids' sugar cereal Trix, that reeks of added vitamins. 


 This, ladies and gentlemen, is a doughnut!

Yes, I remember all of the cereals, from when the kids were little. Or when I was little.

Would you feed your kids Trix with this evil-looking wabbit on the box?

Trix is made from corn. A healthier version was Corn Pops, loaded with sugar.


It's got a "big yellow taste," according to the scriptwriters at Kellogg's, a rival of General Mills. 


Gee, I certainly enjoyed this cereal tangent. 

Scott's making our weekend pizza. Ready in half an hour, he said. Last nite we had our first LETTUCE from our garden. I made a delicious tunafish salad with it.

Excuse the blurry photo.

Made a pilgrimage yesterday giving away cuttings of my beautiful blue hydrangeas in the backyard. Some are still pink. 


Always cut your flowers and put them in your house and give away to friends. Or enemies.

And be sure to see the film "Manchurian Candidate" which features hydrangeas as hypnotic suggestions. My libary's copy of the movie was so damaged I wrote them a check to get anudder copy.




Linda brought in two poems. One was a religious poem about Christ always being by your side even if you're trapped upside-down in your automobile (a lotta good it did Mary Jo Kopechne) and another about a Japanese Garden she visited recently. 


Linda is one of my favorite living poets!


Mary Brucker arrived with her guide dog Garland. (My camera ran outa batteries so I couldn't take their pix.

Did she have a story! The two of them got off at the Willow Grove Train Station and attempted to hoof it to the Giant. 


Garland seemed to know where she was going, but as they entered the back of the Giant, she led Mary up a ramp to a locked door.


That's where trucks unload their goods! I checked it on the way out.

Mary wrote a wonderful piece about religion. Born Catholic, she is searching for another religion, one in which Christ is the Saviour.


Did you watch Nik Wallenda last nite as he walked across Niagara Falls? He kept invoking Christ Jesus.

Here's Nik, 33, getting spritzed by all the mist and the winds. An incredible athletic feat for which he practiced, utilizing simulated conditions which could hardly prepare him for the tremendous difficulty of the journey. Blasts of wind and whirlpools of spray. He could barely see.

Wearing earbuds, we could hear his dad cheering him on. Great support.

In a Times video I watched this morning, the entire walk was condensed into a little over two minutes.

It cut out all the chaff and stuck to the most important moments.

That's what our group did today for Kym Cohen who wrote an amazing piece, which must be condensed into 500 words or less for a contest she's entering.

Good luck Kymberly!


C'est moi in a new dress I bought in Ocean City. It's made in China of 100% rayon.There's a whole treatise on rayon in Wiki. It doesn't need to be capitalized.

TUNNEL OF LOVE

In my motorcar
I drive through fields of daylilies
seen many times
both here and in my dreams
and my childhoods of long ago

Am I now, driving down Terwood
in the Tunnel of Love?
where dad and I spun so fast
in the twirling cup
stars shooting out of the darkness?

Dad’s gone to the darkness
I go it alone now
in my little car
gray as a humpback whale
red trim like the
poppies in Flanders Field.  

Who protects me now?
A mother nearing ninety?
A hundred dead men who call my name?
The birds in my birdbath who cheer my arrival?

Call me a Daylilly.
here for just a little while,
burning orange
beneath the sun
succulent
lusty
unstoppable
then suddenly plucked -
lifted off the ground
petticoats and all
swooped into the Darkness
of a million years
and forgotten in only five.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice poem! It was actually the best part of a rather dull day for me, here! Thank you!!

    I am constantly reminded of those awful cereals, as my daughter buys them for our three yr old. I never bought any of them for my kids and was always careful about what they ate, though not dogmatic. It seems not to have done any good, especially with this one and her offspring.

    You are so fortunate that you have a good poetry group. The writer's group here in town fell apart and the librarian got another together. However, there is a volunteer "leader" who seems a bit exclusionary, in spite of his protests that he wants the group to reflect the interests of the members and lo and behold, they have decided NO POETRY...He made a disparaging comment about poetry and about poets, indicating that he "used to be a poet" but fortunately is past those days, as though being a poet were like having some sort of illness to be over and done with. I have spoken to a few about having a small writing group of our own, but so far, no serious takers.

    Anyway, thanks for this good poem!

    I wrote a poppy poem referencing Flanders Field not too long ago too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you like the poem. i spent loads of time on it. when i read it at the group i still wasn't happy about it and worked on it some more at home.

    sugar cereals! our kids have a mind of their own. read sarah's recent FB post about doing research for an extreme marathon runner - scott jurek - who's a vegan.

    i know you couldn't stand your poetry group and for good reason. when you get some free time - wot dat! - i do suggest you start one of your own - either at the libe or a BOOKSTORE or a college. you're too good to give up on groups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I can see the work in your above poem. It's tight, good, evocative of many things that are meaningful to this reader!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks again, isis. i'd like to read your poppies or flanders field poem when u get a chance.

    ReplyDelete