Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Sunny Day in Willow Grove - Poem: Gardening at Twilight

Guess who these people are? Hint: From my past life.

My friend Nancy Wolen is gonna read this post. Hope you enjoy it, Nance.

Private note for Nancy and her cat Bernice: Nance, I just mailed off last year's Compass with your b'ful Mardi Gras mask on the back cover. Sent it to Friends Hospital b/c they never refer patients to us.

Our family is getting ready for Jade's wedding on Saturday at 5:30 pm in New Hope. Scott has two Armani suits he got from a friend. He got them hemmed and will look gorgeous in em. I told him he doesn't have to wear a tie but he insists.

Here's the Centre Bridge Inn in New Hope, just this side of Jersey.

Just thot of a good name for a country song: Wedding Blues.

Doc Watson died at age 89 thother day. I really dug him and enjoyed listening to to the previously recorded Fresh Air interview.

Doc Watson (1923-2012)

I particularly loved the featured Times video of Doc playing with Earl Scruggs.

Listen to it here. I love the way Earl is watching Doc's finger-picking.

Did my gardening at twilight yesterday. The weeds come in faster than the speed of light.

Photos please:

Oh, that's Scott helping Nancy across the street hang up her flag for Memorial Day.

Robin Franklin, head of community relations at the Giant Supermarket, gave me a sprig of mint to plant in the garden. It's so prolific I now make iced tea with it and gave some to Claire to make her own tea.

She was over and asked, What did you sweeten it with?

Nothing. I have diabetes and limit my sugar to: Mom's brownies, Sara McNarbour's rhubarb-strawberry pie, and memories of Royal Pudding's vanilla pudding, which is in my cupboard now awaiting attention.

The mailman just came: Large envelope reads: Ruth Deming, Your new Defenders of Wildlife calendar is enclosed.

Perfect! I was looking for a wedding gift for Jade and Matt.


GARDENING AT TWILIGHT

Who says I am any different
from the weeds I pull
or the white-faced dianthus that
wafts its fragrance through the air

the darkening sun
lowers itself behind
the Kelly’s pool
I squint and see a blurry moon
not yet in its lonesome state
since all about the darkening hour
we feed each other with our breath

my clippers shear the hasta leaves
that block the sidewalk
I carry them accompanied by
fireflies to the backyard where I
toss them behind the shed
they too are not alone
but join the eternal rhythm
of this senseless revolving planet
we call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment