Monday, April 9, 2012

Grace and I go for a walk down Cowbell Road

Grace Catherine Deming, b. August 15, 2010

Grace's parents, Dan and Nicole, were inside fixing some glitches on my FB page, so Grace and I stole out the front door for a walk.

She led the way.

This was taken from my car on Easter afternoon. Loads of cars line the street. People no longer dress in their Easter finery. A nice pair of jeans or shorts and a blouse or shirt will do.

She noticed my new white bird bath and was fascinated by the white rocks I put down over by the lamppost. She also said hi to the Buddha.

Here's my house all dressed up for Easter and Passover. Got a head start b/c of my first KidneyVersity on April 1.

So, I hold her hand as we leave home. I've got a couple of big steps she's too small to navigate. It was delightful holding her hand.

She looked at my car in the drive, gave it a pat on the behind, and walked down the sidewalk toward "Uncle Scott's" next door.

She walked slowly and carefully.

Perhaps she remembered the times she fell b/c she was running and got boo-boos on her knees.

Grace is always in an inordinately good mood.

As Grace entered the walkway of Scott's house, the birds scattered from his birdbath. "Buh" she said, pointing.

Earlier she heard the train at the Willow Grove Station and signed "train." Another sign she does is clasping her hands together which means help.

Up the walkway to Scott's we go. A couple of huge pine cones sit on the lawn. I kick one to her. She enjoys kicking it a few times as we approach his door.

He has a small step leading to his front porch.

She successfully climbs the small step, looks at me, turns around, walks back down, and walks back up again.

She does this several times, triumphant in her ability to climb up this pint-sized step.

Her motto: If it's climbable, I'll give it a try. If I can't I'll clasp my hands together for help.

On Scott's front porch is one of those park benches people use at home. It's mine, actually, but it needed fixing, so Scott bought new boards for it and painted the iron sides blue, to match his house.

Grace heads toward it, determined to mount this next challenge.

She grasps the farthest boards and tugs herself onward, lifting up her legs. I give her butt a little push and she's on!

She turns around and sits there like a little lady. I help her climb off.

She heads toward Scott's door but changes her mind. She's gonna go back to the bench.

She accidentally crashes straight into the bench's blue iron railing. Hard.

She laffs hysterically and looks at me. I laff too.

She does it again.

Grace decides to leave and go home. She successfully climbs down the little step, trots along the pathway, when I notice Scott's pink hyacinth off to the left.

"Grace!" I say. "Let's look at the flower."

I pick a stalk of hyacinth

hold it under her nose, and ask her to smell it.

She exhales.

"Doesn't it smell delicious?" I say.

Then she heads home.

I hold her cold hand as we step up my huge porch step and we peek inside the warm house.

"Ma!" she cries and we step inside.

They've only partially fixed the FB page, but I've had one of the greatest moments in my life!

2 comments:

  1. They surely do brighten our worlds, don't they, these little kids and especially the grandkids, for whom we don't have the same kinds of responsibilities we did with our own kids. Thanks for sharing! She is so cute.
    I had a little outing with our Gabby on Sat and we went to visit Great-Grandma Bernice. It was great fun. We also picked some mini-daffodils that "Pepa" planted, though Gabby took all the credit for the gardening. She re-told the tale of the crazy bird that kept crashing into our window about a week ago, and that got into Mommy's car and pooped all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right about brightening our day! as u know, kids grow up sooo fast, so we've gotta spend time w/them as much as we can. great story about your gabby and the poop!

    ReplyDelete