Friday, February 3, 2012

Mom's Meatloaf - Meeting with Sharon Katz ( ! ) - Guess who came to dinner?

Called mom this morning to get the recipe for her meatloaf. I use ground turkey. The sauce on top is what really makes it so delicious.

I made it in the morning before the painter came and smelled up the house. He did a great job and I highly recommend him. Rich Claire.

Fini. Just looking at it makes my mouth water. We just finished dinner an hour ago. Oh no! I'm going to the frig to take another bite of the meat loaf. We had a delicious salad with thousand island dressing w/fresh parsley, and Scott made the brown rice with mushrooms.

Scott's parents Dave and Natalie Sherman came for an early dinner: 5 pm. Scott just went home to go to sleep. Remember, he does shiftwork.

I asked Scott to take a pic of me. You can see the wall behind me. On the left is a collage I made from the Mediterranean cruise Sarah and I took three yrs ago.

In the middle is a photo I bought from the great Carl Yeager. Next to that is a llama from my Ecuadorean side of the family. At far right is a painting by Patrick Otis Cox.

Ruth Z Deming, MGPGP, in her living room office

"The Fighting Irish?" said Scott's parents. "Who bought you that shirt?"

"You did!" he said.

Here's the very accomplished Sharon Katz, owner of Collaborative Care, a mental health agency, on York Road in Abington, PA. She just passed the test so she can be a prescribing nurse. She's at a great place now in her life. All three of her children are out of the house and on their way.

Sharon co-wrote a chapter in a huge psychiatric textbook.

Nurses have a different approach to psychiatry than psychiatrists do, and a better approach, I believe.

I asked her if she was married and her eyes lit up! "Yes," she said, "I'm very happily married."

After meeting in her office, which used to be a big old house, four of us drove to the Kitchen Bar for lunch.

Here's Sharon and colleague Hugh Brenner, also a prescribing psychiatric nurse. See his website here.

Hugh is engaged to Lisa Lordan, who will be our guest speaker in April.

Lisa is a hypnotherapist and has had success with smoking cessation, weight management, stress and pain management.

A young guy in scrubs was sitting next to us. I couldn't resist taking his pic.

While Sharon was talking at the restaurant, I realized for the first time what a dynamic woman she is, always thinking of ways to expand the services of her agency. I debated with myself whether I should pop the question and then decided: Do it Ruthie!

We're having our New Directions brochures updated at Morgan Printing on Wyandotte Road in Willow Grove, down the street from Wayne's Auto, where my sister Donna takes her car.

On the last page, we list agencies we work in conjunction with.

I asked if she'd like to be the first private agency we list on our new brochure.

Yes, she said.

Okay, I said, and told her a few things I'd like from her. No prob, she said.

The logo on our brochure was designed by Helene Layton. This was well before the upraised arms so common today.

1 comment:

  1. Good for Sharon! I think many nurses are a lot more in touch with what happens in patients' lives than the MD's and particularly in psychiatry.

    I can't tell you why but am not a huge fan of meatloaf, known by many as a comfort food. We do relay a funny family story, though, about meatloaf. My elder daughter made one once and it came out awful and she continues to use that as an excuse about why she doesn't cook..."You know..the my meatloaf was terrible excuse".

    I see that you have an interesting collection of memorabilia and would have expected no less. Your home looks like a place you and others can really enjoy and feel comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete