Sunday, January 8, 2012

Low blood sugar attack - describing the indescribable



While it's fresh in my mind, let me try to describe how it feels to have a low blood sugar attack. It's often the subject of the online diabetes websites I read.

I've had numerous attacks. They are dangerous. You can go into a coma.

Two nites ago I woke up from a deep sleep, drenched in sweat. I was at Scott's. The TV was on.

I knew I was low. When I looked at the television, the people on it were POROUS. You could see right through them.

So, my vision is always affected when it gets really low.

This was the first time, tho, my thinking was not clear. Had I been home, my head may have been clearer cuz I know what to eat when I'm home.

You've gotta raise your blood sugar PRONTO.

I woke Scott and asked him to help me. He said Go downstairs and eat some raisins. Good idea!

I shoveled raisins in my mouth as fast as I could.

He told me to eat some peanuts with them.

I ate a few and then told him I need CARBS, altho it was certainly a good idea to make this a mini-meal, with the usual Protein, Starch, and Fruit.

When I was feeling steadier I walked home - still munching raisins - and got an apple outa the fridge. Apples are high in carbs, so I ate nearly a whole apple, plus my standard Caraway Rye Triscuits, 8 of which are 21 carbs.

My sugar level was 43. Anything less than 70 is not good.

A person close to me was aghast when I said that my diabetes diagnosis was the worst thing that happened to me.

When I worked at the Intell - before 1986 - I wrote the Med News column and briefly spoke to a diabetes expert Rachmel Cherner who impressed me w/the horrors of the disease.

Look, it's not so bad if you take c/o yourself which I'm still learning to do. I've had the condition since April 14, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds awful but I am so glad you know what to do, tske it seriously and don't play games with it.

    By the way, I have never seen caraway-rye Triscuits. They sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they're awesome crackers w/ no salt added! everyone who tries them is a convert, no meeting w/reb necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very frightening, Ruth - I'm glad it all worked out okay.

    This is one of my great fears. As you, I travel a lot. There have been a coupled of different occasions when I have been home that Margie has gone into diabetic shock and had I not been here...

    Well, the potential outcome is something that I do not even care to contemplate... yet must.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do know your fear about margie, bill! wait'll you read the new post i'm working on. my friend lance passed out but his wife found him!

    ReplyDelete