Monday, November 7, 2011

Rendevouz with Renee! - G'bye Smokin' Joe Frazier

Was sitting on the couch working on the Compass when the phone rang. It was Renee Starr. Would I meet her at Mondauk Common in Upper Dublin for a walk on this very lovely day?

Sure, I said. We'd never seen each other before. We each had back surgery by Dr. Guy Lee of Abington Memorial Hospital and I talked to her about the remarkable success of the operation.

Now we were gonna celebrate by walking together.

As I headed out, there was some sort of police barricade, so I had to find another way to get there. I guess, like the busy squirrels getting ready for winter, townships are fixing their roads before winter gets here.

Ruth and Renee. Photo taken by Andrea. Thank you, Andrea, if you're reading this! Andrea was just leaving the park when we asked if she'd photograph us. I wanted to send it to Dr. Lee.

When I emailed Lee, who listens to Metallica in the operating room, I told him that I read in the Times that the great Lou Reed, founder of the Velvet Underground, had joined Metallica to make a new album. I, personally, can't wait to hear it, though now I'm listening to the slow movement from Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand.

Renee and I walked three miles around the dusty track. I'd walked there many years ago with my friend Helene. I like it cuz it's level, unlike my hilly neighborhood, where I huff and puff.

Renee teaches math at Arcadia U. Like me, she's trying to lose weight and she gave me some great tips, which I shared w/ my mom.

Only eat when you're hungry. For me, that means hiding my whole-wheat pretzel sticks, nuts and raisins, that I keep out in the kitchen.

Eat slowly, savoring every bite. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten enough. Eat and then stop eating. Then eat some more. Take more time. Don't gobble down your food.

Eat peanuts one by one.

Gotta watch Charlie Rose now. Mark Z and Sheryl are on from Facebook.

Next day.

Boxer Joe Frazier died today at 67 of a short bout of liver cancer. When Sarah was a boxer, she used to work out in his gym in North Philly. His daughter was also a great boxer. (Photo from NY Times.)

5 comments:

  1. I'm back after 8.5 days with no power, no heat, no lights, etc. Lots of additional stress so may be slow to catch up on past posts. Thinking of you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank goodness, iris! i've been watching your progress on FB. am working on the first chapter of my mom-daughter kidney memoir. very very difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it is difficult but if anyone can do it and will do a great job, it's you. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm trying. i did make good progress. am currently reading 'slouching toward bethlehem' by joan didion - she's on the lecture circuit w/her new book - and she writes about her many horrible early drafts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought Joe would go, but he did.

    ReplyDelete