Friday, November 25, 2011

We love our leftovers! - Flu shot

My sister Ellen enjoying mushroom soup the day after.

Mushroom soup for me and a salad. Sarah also put some wild wild rice in the mushroom soup.

For today's exercise I decided to walk around the block. My leg muscles are killing me from the exercise bike. Here I am nearing home, and closer still, below, you can see my yellow house.

I told Bob the pharmacist I'd be there shortly to get my flu shot. Elders like me get 85 percent more of the antibodies b/c as we age, we lose our ability to fight diseases like when we were younger.

After Bob put on his SWAT gear to shoot me up, I actually felt scared. I thought I was in a monster movie. I sat in a chair, on view of the entire store - Bob, a room divider, please - and he shot me intramuscularly in the shoulder.

"Good job, Bob," I said, as a nosy man watched me.

The needle was quite long. Bob kept it under my skin about 10 seconds. My insulin shot takes less than 5 seconds and uses a a needle as small as a push-pin. The flu needle was about six inches long. No wonder kids get scared. Don't show em the needle!

Bob said the flu shot takes up to two weeks to start working. He talked to my kidney doctor before doing it. I get the full-strength injection cuz I'm over 65 - who me? - wait, I look like a kid here...

Can roasted cashews keep you youthful? Or perhaps Sarah's apple pie.....

The last of Sarah's apple pie. It looked so incomplete w/o whipped cream or ice cream that I melted some cheddar cheese on top, as did Sarah this morning.

Scott had never heard of that. And neither did you! I'm a mind-reader. Sarah said apple pie and cheese is part of American folklore. Or something like that. If I don't write it down, I can't remember it. What? I should take notes when my daughter speaks to me?

It just came to me....Americana.

In Cleveland, Ohio, the cradle of Western civilization since the pre-Cambrian age, apple pie and cheese were the thing! All the great leaders, sportsmen, emperors, potters and flint arrow-fashioners ate their apple pie around the fire. I was in the corner inventing the wheel.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... cheese on apple pie...

    sometime i might test it, but I already know I prefer ice cream or whipped cream.

    You have a very pretty and elegant looking neighborhood.

    Strange to see fall colors so late in the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. bill, you're right. i do have a lovely neighborhood. sometimes i absolutely can't believe i live here! i had a wealthy aunt who left us all enuf money to buy great houses!

    ReplyDelete