Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New writing teacher - Uncle Howie - Helene - Night visitors

Say hello to author Richard Bank, my new writing coach. We met at Weinrich's Bakery Coffeeshop this morning.

I brot in a couple things for him to look at. The query letter for my novel. Plus the first chapter of my novel, whose name I am not revealing.

He took one look at the query letter and said, An agent will never read the whole letter. The first sentence isn't good enough.

I began by saying, "May I submit my novel...."

Then he read the first sentence of my novel.

I waited for him to reject it.

"All I needed was to read the first sentence and I knew you could write."

Whew! When I write my 1.5 page query letter, he said to mention my support group, my credentials, and the dollar amount of my Leeway Grant Award to show them I'm not just some nut.

Well, I am a nut, a nice one though, demonstrated by when we got up and left.

I collected all the extra napkins at our table and told Richard there are rules for "stealing napkins." You're entitled to all the napkins on your table but you can't just go and help yourself to more before you leave.

I keep them in my glove compartment to use as hankies or stationery.

"That's like something Larry David would do," said Rich.

Read a newspaper article at Mom's house that "Uncle Howie" Zeitz still works at Willow Grove Day Camp, as does his once high-heeled wife Gloria. His son, tho, really runs the place.

Sign on Davisville Road.

I was his sec'y about 17 years ago. It was a job that saved me cuz Chris Ray had just broken up w/me, one of the great loves of my life. Chris died a decade or so ago, but, by his website you'd think he was still alive.

When I knocked on the door, Linda answered and let me in. I wrote Howie a note. I had missed him by five minutes.

I asked if "Uncle Marv" was still involved.

Yes, he ran a sister camp in New Jersey.

It was one of my favorite jobs. I learned to use a mimeograph machine for daily announcements distributed to the staff and counselors.

Parents were very fussy but Howie had a terrific way of handling them when they complained.

More camp pix:

Everything a kid desires, including playing on a real fire truck. Can't see it.

If you click twice, I think you can see this beautiful horse. Horseback riding. How I'd love to go for a ride now. Giddeeyup, Copper, let's ride fast around the grounds.

The campers' cabins used to be part of the throngs that came out to Willow Grove from hot Philadelphia, taking the trolley down, and then visiting Willow Grove Park.

I interviewed Uncle Howie at the end of the camping season and wrote a wonderful article for one of the local papers. All I remember is that I said he had big leg muscles and a clarion voice. I dunno where I got that word from, clarion, but unexpected things come out when you write.

Today, Uncle Howie is 80 YEARS OLD!!!

My dear friends below - Helene and Aaron - are no spring chickens.

Got there just in time to watch em eat dinner.

They had a helper, Liz, a lovely young woman who's a vegetarian.

I told them my writing coach, Rich Bank, is also a vegetarian. He doesn't eat anything that has a mother.

When it was time to go, I asked Helene to do a "Sam Maitin." That means walk me to the car. I'd done an article on Sam when I worked for Art Matters.

Tonite I got two phone calls from members of New Directions who had gone to Abington Prez thinking there was a meeting tonite, but there wasn't.

I'd canceled the third Tuesday meeting of the month, unbeknownst to Laura and Barbara.

I invited them both over here.

We found Barb a new psychiatrist that takes her Cigna insurance. Laura showed us pictures of her handsome new boyfriend Mark on her phone. Silly girls that we are, we went on his website and sent him an email.

Barbara asked Laura if Mark had an unmarried father for herself?

Barb wants to meet a guy. And why shouldn't she?

She's a few years older than me. Eureka! I remembered one of our phone greeters - Nick - who's about her age.

I got Nick on the phone - why waste time? - and the two of em are gonna get together.

Wouldn't that be great if it works out?

4 comments:

  1. A writing coach... hmmm... interesting... I hope your novel finds a home, soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. danka shane, bill! hope your current projects bring you well-deserved success. am gonna send you an email shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, I wrote a comment last night and it disappeared. Your blog is not Coach Iris-friendly!

    Anyway, FABULOUS that you hired a writing coach. As you know, I am all for coaching. (A little advertisement folks. Write Coach Iris if you are making big life changes and need help flying through the winds of such changes.)

    Seriously, congratulations for taking action on something that is very important to you and for loving yourself enough to want to do it! The guy knows quality when he see it!

    I remember hearing about Uncle Howie Zeitz.

    I didn't know you liked matchmaking. I am incurable matchmaker. Probably comes from so many years doing adoption work and uniting parents and kids. It can make a lot of friends and a lot of enemies, depending on how successful are your ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my friend nick is a really great guy. i tried to set him up w/another great woman - a nurse, from our group, who went to new orleans to help victims of katrina - but i want this guy living w/someone and barbara is game!

    sure i can understand how you'd be a matchmaker too! fiddler on the roof!

    ReplyDelete