Friday, July 22, 2011

Back surgery here I come! - They listen to Metallica in the OR - Sarah's famous crab croquettes

No, she says, stamping her foot.

I am not a surgery junkie.

We're not sure if we believe her. First she has her kidney transplant in April and nearly four months to the day she's scheduled for back surgery.

What's next? A little stretching of face, a butt lift, and her elbows are a little rough, maybe she can find a doc to smooth the skin.

Hell, the body is a playground, waiting to be made whole again, like when we were 21.

Let's let The Belle tell her story, but keep it brief, please. You wanna watch folksinger Richard Thompson in an hour.

Look, no big deal. Sarah and I drove to Chalfont for my pre-surgery appointment with Dr Guy Lee. It was about a 45 minute drive and I got there an hour early.

I did not wanna get lost and miss my precious appt. We did not get lost.

Dr Guy Lee in labcoat and tie

During the three times I've seen him, he wears a tiny gold cross around his neck. That man - just like us mortals - is accountable to a Higher Power.

While Sarah and I waited for Dr Lee in the exam room, she read to me some exquisite passages from the Upanishads.

We wrote down questions in advance.

- Chance of success? Over 90 percent.

- What could go wrong? He listed a number of things, which he said, are uncommon.

- How long does it take? Half-hour.

- Who's in room? Surgeon, Physician Asst, Anesthesiologist (who leaves after I'm out or dead, whichever comes first), Nurse anesthesiologist. The main anesthesiologist is nearby and can be fetched if needed.

- Recovery time? Four to six weeks before we see full recovery.

- Ever killed anyone? No. Neither has the anesthesiologist.

- What do you wear? Similar to what he wore in the exam room, but a different color. Lee always wears comfy white sneakers.

- Where did you learn how to do these discectomies? Graduated from Temple Medical School, did residency at Einstein, did fellowship at Johns Hopkins Univ. To specialize, you get a fellowship.

Dr Guy Lee volunteered that he listens to Metallica during surgery. "You wouldn't like it," he said, "but of course you won't hear it."

"Oh, I love heavy metal," I said. On the way home Sarah said there's a great documentary about the band I should rent.

And now, here's Metallica. It's quite fantastic. 6 minutes. Enter Sandman, it's called.

Lee and family will vacation at the Jersey shore right before my operation. Just like my chief kidney surgeon Radi Zaki took his family to the San Diego Zoo, the only time he gets to see his family....on a vacation far from home.

Sarah and I parked in the handicap zone but I walked well into the theatre. Beautiful building in Chalfont where they've been a year. He has offices all over the place.

As we drove away, Sarah asked if there were any sights to see in the area.

Yes! I said. Lake Galena.

Down to Lake Galena we went in the hundred-degree heat. I'm not a fan of air-conditioning but you better believe it's on at my house - turned to 80 degrees - and in the car, full blast.

I couldn't figger out how to use the car A/C until my sister Donna taught me. I couldn't remember the concept: Red = hot. Blue = cold.

Methinks I've got it now.

We went down to the Lake and went where they launch the boats. Oh, the times I used to go there and canoe or paddleboat.

After my surgery, after my surgery!

Here's Sarah in her rompers. At mom's house, we discussed the old Romper Room show. Mom remembered the hostess, Miss Sherry, holding up a mirror to her TV audience and saying, Who do I see today? I see Ruthie and Sarah and Bernice.

I could barely remember, but mom's eyes lit up w/happiness.

My sister Donna, intoxicated by the delicious meal which included her choice of Alexia, frozen sweet potato fries. Delicious! I'd never heard of em before. Have you?

When Sarah comes to town, it's cause for great celebration. We call her "Say" for short.

She made a phenomenal meal: Crabcake Croquettes, a favorite of her husband Ethan.

Scott will model them for you:


Yesterday I had my first visit w/my endocrinologist, Dr Nissa Blocher from Einstein Medical Center, practicing now in a huge building in Elkins Park.

Just about every one of the patients couldn't find the place b/c the Chernoff Associates moved in about a month ago. I had no problem - who me? - the always-gets-lost-kid? - but I was able to drive nice and slow and find the place next to the old Rolling Hill Hospital.

They fit me in so I waited a horrific four hours, devouring every magazine in the place and having the great pleasure of speaking to Johnny, who got an Einstein kidney transplant on May 14, 2010. He's doing very well.

I asked for his email address hoping to put him in our book. He said he just decided to write a book too.

Dr Blocher, who I love, told me that many transplant units no longer prescribe prednisone as an antirejection med. That caused my diabetes, tho she said tacrolimus may contribute to it as well.

And, who, pray tell, invented Prednisone? Why, Arthur Nobile, 1920-2004.

After my surgery appt. today, I sent this email to my nephrologist, Dr Ghantous in Willow Grove:
I'm getting back surgery on August 3 for my painful sciatica caused by a disc herniation.

Dr Guy Lee is performing the micro-discectomy at AMH.

Dr Kung, nephrologist at Einstein Medical Center, where I had my kidney transplant on April 1, approved the operation.

I'll also meet with an anesthesiologist before surgery to go over my special needs, which include ...

Dr Ghantous, can you think of anymore concerns the operating doctors should be aware of?

I don't want to end up like Ron Springs, a Dallas Cowboy who received a kidney from a fellow player, and then, thru surgery for a minor complaint, ended up brain dead for five years.

4 comments:

  1. Damn, Ruth, you did it again. You wrote a blog post full of references that mean something to me and on which I want to comment but now have to slowly scroll back so I remember.

    Let's see... You are far from a surgery junkie...just a healthy person who has chosen not to be in pain and to have as good a quality of life as you possibly can. How can anyone with a brain disagree with that??
    I wish it were all done though, recuperation time and all.

    I have always LOVED Richard and Linda Thompson. Not Metallica much though. Not my cup of tea.

    The Upanishads..well that's another story. This, the Bhagavad Gita and things Hindu and Indian (food and learning to cook it too) ushered in a very important phase of my life with my first husband and we were introduced by a beloved Indian Professor you may have known.

    Also love those Sweet Pot. fries and I buy them too and yum for the crabcake croquettes. Does Sarah have a recipe to pass on one day if she has a spare moment? If she doesn't have time, I understand.

    Romper Room...Memories. I remember watching it while visiting my cousin in Baltimore at age 3 but not at home in NY. I loved Howdy Doody though and Miss Pat's Magic Cottage (or at least I think that was the name of the show.)

    As for your being medically proactive and trying to cover as many important bases as you can...Good for you!!! Don't ever let anyone make you feel you should not be doing that or are in any way inconveniencing them.

    I must go now. Just took an anxi-anxiety med I broke down and got this morning due to family stuff and not-so-great effects on me. Can't afford more clenching of jaw or tighening of back. On top of it all, mil ended up at ER yesterday again. Now I need to practice more of what I teach clients...Coach Iris, heal thyself, breathe, visualize good stuff, exercise, all that stuff.

    Well, hope I covered most everything here. Always like reading what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another nice meaty comment, iris. yes, very good idea to take tranq when necessary, like me taking a percocet for pain. sarah gets her recipe off the 'net, so i'll ask her for the link. when sarah's home, eating IN is always better than eating OUT.

    i did manage to watch richard thompson last nite. i have a great story of how i discovered him. gotta find a way to tell it sometime.

    my surgeons and doctors, thus far, have always been happy to answer every single Q. that's why i use them.

    neat that you and kim had a thing for godly great literature. i do remember that man. we would all roam around SF.

    i checked outa the libe streets of san francisco w/karl malden and michael douglas, the first season. reminds me of when we lived there.

    okay, scott and i are ready for our nap now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, why in the world would he assume that you would not like Metallica? Good luck, I hope you come back with a good back and that all this back pain will be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. exactly, bill. i'm sure as soon as i get outa surgery i'll jump up and dance to - vat else? - metallica!!!

    ReplyDelete