Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thanks, Dan, for our new website! - Farewell Miles Bart

Our new website. Click here.

New Directions has had a website for about 6 years. It was designed by Joey Moore, the then 16-yo son of one of our members. He did a beautiful job. He did it for free but I gave him a $100 tip.

Here's the old homepage:

I wanted to photograph it so I wouldn't forget it. The photo is how the webmaster (moi) loaded things on it.

Not easy. We used a now-defunct Microsoft Front Page.

My son Dan selected an easier program for me to work on. It's called WordPress. It has a nice logo - a simple W (oy! that sounds like our last president) - that is similar to the Wikipedia logo.

How many times are you on Wiki per day?

So I phoned Gate.com this morning to disconnect the old site. You always reach someone in Bulgaria, this time Nick. Then he transferred me to Rory in Vancouver.

Last nite, we had a very interesting support group meeting. Many newcomers. In my small group I told everyone I would email them the next morning so they would have everyone's email address and can keep in touch between meetings.

So many people wanted to join my next Goals Group I may need to run two of them.

I did ask myself, Do you really wanna run another one? And in the midst of the summer?

Two people made strong requests. How can I refuse them?

But the most important thing on my To-Do List today was to submit my novel to a potential agent from a small book press.



You must read the guidelines very closely. I printed out my first 50 pages, only to realize they wanted 15-20, so I sent them the first 16.

They want a cover letter.

I typed up my cover letter but my printer refused to print it.

It just stopped in its tracks. (Later on, Scott fixed it. The cord came loose. A good omen, n'est-ce pas?)

What should I do? Email my next-door neighbor and have him print it out? His mother/law is smoking right now on the back porch. I didn't know Dolores smoked! Her deceased husband was a pitcher for the Cinci Reds. Cliff Ross. 1954-1955. He played minor league ball into the '70s, according to Bill Adams, his son/law and MY next door neighbah!

Then I got a better idea.

I typed the whole thing up on my Selectric. You can't make a mistake, tho, b/c I don't have any Correct-o-Type (thank goodness I remembered that word!).

I made one mistake but it wasn't hideous. But it caused me to say in my cover letter that, oddly, my printer stopped working.

But you can't end a letter like that. It would jinx the entire reading experience.

So, I ended by saying:

A good omen, no doubt!

When signing the letter, my signature was all wobbly. I finally learned today that this is probly from my kidney transplant on April 1.

I did hand exercises from Willow Grove Physical Therapy, which has helped a lot, but there's still residual effects that I'm confident will fade in time.



Found out that Miles Bart, co-founder of the New Directions Delaware group died on April 9:

Miles Bart Obituary (from the Internet)

(Archived)
Published in The News Journal on April 12, 2011
First 25 of 136 words: Miles Bart Age 82, died April 9, 2011.
Son of Michael and Rose Bart; brother of Joan Lawsky;
father of Keith, Kevin and David; grandfather...

I had learned he was ill w/heart problems about a year ago,
tried to call him, but got no response.

He'd orig. come up to our meeting and said he wanted to start
one in Delaware.

He did a terrific interview in our Compass a few years back.
His New Directions is a wonderful organization.

A few years ago, he and some of his colleagues came up for a
presentation we held in the Lower Moreland Community Room.

What fun we all had! Afterward, we all went out to eat at
Santiago's Coffeeshop 5 minutes down the road.

Miles Bart was a master of the word. He taught me the words
'inestimable' and 'incalculable.' I refused to use the first word
b/c it was his word.

Now that he's left this earth does it fall into my hands?

The truth, in this case, is inestimable.

5 comments:

  1. Hope the new site does good things for you. How do you like Wordpress compared to blogger?

    Sorry about Miles. It's good you had coffee with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're write about having a good last encounter with miles. that's the first thing we think about when someone dies: was i good to him?

    well, blogger is what i use only for this blog. WordPress i use for my nonprofit organization, my support group.

    i like it pretty much but have to learn the fine points so i can like it lots! i'll check your site now and see what you use, wasilla man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you use squarespace.com. i really love your format, very easy to read and the pix come out loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Ruth! Giving me aspirations to improve my Bipolar Loved Ones Resource Center blog. BTW< if you ever want to guest post, just send me an e-mail. I would LOVE a full-fledged therapist's perspective on treatment, especially with these celebs coming out and awareness is up :)
    www.bipolarlovedones.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey paul! thanks so much for checking in. i think 'my new website' has stirred a lot of thinking, w/people wondering about their own websites. which is good! hope people take a look at your great site - bipolarlovedones.com which has many interesting thoughts. are u still in school?

    ReplyDelete