Saturday, June 11, 2011

Part I: Getting Ready for Poetry Night at Weinrich's Coffeeshop


Weinrich's is 10 minutes from my home. The gig was from 7 to 8:30 pm.

Since I was the poet/host, it was incumbent upon me to get there a little early.

I was not early. In the last frenzied 45 minutes before I left home, I was:

- injecting insulin and eating something (I ate it in the car - a slice of the most delicious mango I've ever eaten and a hunk of cheese)

- selecting a dress. Somewhere in one of my three closets was a red dress I'd never worn. It was my fave kind of dress: a free hand-me-down.

I located it in my upstairs hall closet, then ran a washcloth over my totally sweaty body (A/C not necessary, it was only 88 in the house) and I sit a foot from whirring fan

Tried it on and lo! it fit.

Now all I needed to do was put the finishing touches on Drowning Ants and revising the poem I wrote today about diabetes.

I am a highly organized person. Most of the time.

When I packed my poetry supplies for the gig, I forgot Drowning Ants and packed the old version of the Diabetes poem, plus the new version.

While reading the old version to the packed audience, I realized - quelle horreurs! - that I'd excised half the lines I was reading.

They were simply dreadful!

I stooped down and reached into my bag and pulled out the revised version.

I finished up with that.

My poems were unimportant. The 15 or so poets who would read were the most important part of the show.

Stay tuned for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment