Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anudder Patch blog - My new gardener - Shore Dreams

When your editor asks you to do something, you salute and jump!

When Gerry Dungan suggested I write a Patch.com blog post about our new New Directions website, I worked on it all afternoon and into the evening, making a zillion changes and corrections.

Here it is!

I have always enjoyed doing my own yardwork. In fact, my old lawnmower - a Craftsman - is locked inside my shed. If YOU want it, gratis, lemme know.

No shipping.


Here's why I no longer use my old gardener. Yes, Bill imbibes while on the job and LITTERS too. I wasn't home at the time.

One day I was driving home and saw a lawn service on adjoining Ball Road. They have big expensive houses and huge hills, some of them.


The good thing was it was a one-man service and not an expensive team.

That's how I found Rick Collins!

Very interesting man. Lives nearby on Forest Avenue - that's a down-hill street. We have lotsa hills in this neighborhood. My house is on flat land. When I bot the house I didn't want it to flood, Noah.

Rick is a former truck driver for Pennsylvania Steel, I believe, HQ'd in Bensalem. When he told me why he went out on workman's comp, all the things that happened to his body after he had a terrible accident lifting up a heavy beam of steel, I was cringing.

Five and a half years ago, in 2008, he had Back Surgery.

Palmaccio Smith Associates.

His back is better - he's had several operations - but certainly not perfect. The pain is much better but he still takes Tylenol.

Rick and his wife, who's a nurse, have six children, ages 25 to 14. Sure hope he's not voting for Rick Santorum, who is unspeakably horrible.


Rick was here for sev'l hours mowing my lawn and Scott's, and clipping my verdant bushes. $140 total, which I thot was reasonable.

I introduced him to Nancy across the street and he spent an afternoon trimming her bushes since her husband Charley died. Hmmm, maybe I can print a Charlie poem. Not that I have time to find it.

Scott is off for a whole week. I told him I'd go to the shore w/him which is what we usually do.

I thot I might go in spite of my pain. I'll see.

This morning as we lay in bed at 5 am, I said: Let's pretend we're at the shore. What dyou wanna do today?

Well, we have to eat breakfast. I spose we can go across the street to eat. The food's not that bad.

Scott, if you're on vacation, everything you eat should be delicious! Where else can we go.

Well, they have some good places on the Boardwalk.

Oh! We're in Ocean City! I always forget if we're in Cape May or Ocean City.

Yeah, we're staying at Watson's Regency.

Ah, the one with the pool.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got a chance to write about your new web site. Wish, wish , wish I would just finish mine. Soon, I hope but have to take a lot of breaks from the typing and the sitting. What a cool idea, to pretend you are on vacation. Hope you can get away a bit, though.

    I have a gardener too but I am married to him. Mostly, though, he enjoys it, but I don't. He is building this amazing, huge shed right now so he can store all of his lawn and gardening crap in it. It is taking every spare minute and more, including part of the vacation we were supposed to have, but it is almost done. It looks like a garage--that tall, but not as deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right about protecting your back when you write. it'll get done. my son gave me a two-month lead and i could barely stand it.

    your hubby is really talented in the manly arts. send pix when you can.

    ReplyDelete