Monday, May 16, 2011

Good news from Kidney Clinic


Betty and Glen had no traffic when they drove to Kidney Clinic from Brooklyn. That's cuz they arrive early - at 7:15 am - before the clinic opens its doors.

I had tons of traffic and arrived at 8:20. Sat next to "Angela," a real talker. She carried on conversations with - and I do admire this - 1,2,3,4 - four people at once.

When I got bored listening to her talk about herself, I'd leaf thru an old New Yorker, address label ripped off.

Why do people rip it off?

What are they afraid of? I left two boring magazines there w/ my address label attached. I'm still alive. I used to do this when I worked as a therapist at Bristol-Bensalem. Everyone used to yell at me.

Proud. Independent. Foolish.

Since my kidney transplant took place 6 weeks ago, April 1, I only see one doctor: the nephrologist.

Either Kung or Rajah. I like both equally.

I was reading my book Professor and the Madman, leaning over the examining table cuz my leg ached, when I heard Kung's cheerful voice.

Dyou think they train these doctors to be cheerful?

We had a long talk about diabetes. He said I eat too much. I gained a couple pounds.

He's absolutely right. I stuffed myself with delicious food tonite and could not fucking stop eating. Then when I was done I had two bowls of raw cashews I roasted in the oven.

OMG!

Maybe I should do like what they did to Paul Newman in The Hustler. Break my thumbs.

Anyway he lowered my prednisone from two pills to one. It's the pred that gave me the diabetes.

I think I'll become a Nichuan Buddhist and start chanting to not eat so much.

Dr Kung increased my dosage of insulin. He said taking insulin is not good for my kidney.

Also I now only have to go to Kidney Clink once a month instead of once a week. Prior to that it was twice a week.

When I got home, got a call from Denis. His body rejected his 6-yo kidney and he started dialysis last week.

Why'd you start dialysis? I asked. Couldn't you hold out longer?

No, he said. I felt terrible. Had no energy.

One thing I do have is energy. Look at how fast my fingers are typing.

After clinic, I walked a ways to valet service.

When I saw Pearce I asked him if I could walk with him to my car, which he said is parked in an empty lot nearby.

While walking, I said, You're very smart. Why don't you get a better job?

I actually suggested to him he get a CDL - commercial driver's license.

That's my plan, he said.



He'd been driving w/o a license and accrued massive fines but has paid em all back. Then he'll get his CDL and apply for work at SEPTA.

Oh, my boyfriend works there, I said.

That's the plan.

Good luck Pearce. He remembers me each time I come. Maybe it's my pink socks. Or my pink skin.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't forgotten you. Just been going at insane pace. Too tired to read right now, but I like the picture of the bus. Read later.

    ReplyDelete