Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Davey Eyre for breakfast (no, I'm not a cannibal stranded in the Alps)

I still follow the dietary precepts of....choose one:

- the orthodox Jews
- Seventh Day Adventists
- the Islamic diet
It is He Who produceth gardens, with trellises and without, and dates, and tilth with produce of all kinds, and olives and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in variety): eat of their fruit in their season, but render the dues that are proper on the day that the harvest is gathered. But waste not by excess: for Allah loveth not the wasters. (Qur'an 6:141)

- dietary laws set down by dietician Mary Ann Moylen of the Willow Grove PA Giant Supermarket.

Like the Adventists, who have long lifespans, I eschew drugs such as caffeine and alcohol, but I am not a strict lacto-ovo vegetarian as they recommend. I like a little fish and fowl on the side.
Incidentally, the founder of Kellogg's cereal was a prominent member of the church. Additionally, the SDA vegetarian diet recommends some legumes, nuts, and low-fat diary products in moderation. Examples of recommended dairy products would be milk, yogurt, light cheeses, with eggs used sparingly.

Batter for Davey Eyre pancakes
Well,I could not do my usual threesome for breakfast - eggs, toast, and fruit - cuz I'd run out of bread. So I called up Helene and asked for the recipe of Davey Eyre Pancakes. She guided me to an Internet source of the recipe, which I copied down on my notepad, which you can see in the photo. The tiny oblong item is a clove of nutmeg. Note nutmeg grater and lemon squeezer. Great tools.

The 'must-know' about this recipe is you pour the batter into a skillet on the stove and then transfer it into a hot oven.

Davey Eyre pancake ready to eat. Rob, when you're in the neighborhood, call me and I'll make us one. Bring Martino too.

I'm gonna print the recipe w/o looking at it just to see how my memory is doing at my advancing age. I say advancing cuz I keep getting older second by second.

DAVID EYRE PANCAKES

Serves two. Preheat oven to 425.

Put the following into a medium-sized bowl and stir as you go along:

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used water)
1/2 cup flour
juice of half lemon
2 T sugar (I used maple syrup)
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg

On the stove, get a skillet ready. You'll transfer the batter into skillet and put in oven.

Melt 4 T butter

Add liquid ingredients and stir gently.

Pop in oven for 20 minutes or till set.

Dive in! This was unimaginably delicious. Hmmm, maybe you'll get lucky and I'll invite YOU over for brunch.

Wait a minute, I've got more to say.

Something about the night, this night, is incredibly beautiful. I peeked out my bedroom drapes and took another look at the illuminated night. Moon is rising behind the house. See, when I was in sciatica pain I could not appreciate a thing and that included beauty, one of my greatest loves. Just the beauty of a dark night with Charley's trees silhouetted against the full sky and the icy snow gleaming throughout it all.

I was sorry there was not a god to thank. I had such a close relationship with him before I gave him up. I think I needed him when I had manic depression so clung onto him for strength. Now I only have deadly kidney disease so don't need him anymore. Gee, I hope I don't seem manipulative.

Glad I got that out.

Finished my Lillian story today and read it to her husband who said it was beautiful. I'd made three mistakes which I corrected. You're the one, I said, who I most wanted to please. Will email it to him after publication.

Two women in particular I wanted to quote about Lillian's warm loving personality but neither were available so I got around it by calling someone else. Went over to the library and took a few photos. Here they are:

The reason I got too much blacktop and not enuf library is b/c there is no mechanism on the camera to VIEW what you're taking when you're in bright light. A defect which Canon must correct.

Upper Moreland Public Library. To get around the glare, I went into the Township building directly across the parking lot and shot the library thru a window. I had to go out and move my car cuz it was blocking the library. You can see the tail end of it, the landmark Cadillac fin.

YA section. That means Young Adult. Wish there were time enuf to read some of these but I've already got Maurice by E M Forster out of the libe, along with The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott.

Don't you just love Bulletin Boards? A New Directions pamphlet is hanging on the wall.

Totally new Children's Room.

Just for kids.

The library values its staff. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort the patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment