Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sciatica begone! - Dig that slush on the streets!



New Directions has a Top Doc list managed by Angie. She, more than anyone, knows the importance of a good doctor since, like many of us, she was served by a truly awful psychiatrist. Her story is in the latest Compass. When I met w/the head of the Bucks County Mental Health agency, I mentioned to her the name of this very unpopular and cruel doctor.

Angie apprised me of Healthgrades.com, an online service that rates doctors by patient recommendations. I entered the name of my current sciatica doctor - a rheumatologist - who got top ratings, but didn't help me at all.

I found someone else who got even better ratings and is within driving distance so I may see her if my condition doesn't clear up.

I was really frustrated last nite that I've been crippled since October 15. Today is Month 3. I'm gonna get a lifesaving kidney operation - possibly in April - but what will it matter if I wake up from the operation and my leg is still in agony?

I googled Sciatica Exercises and found some on SpineHealth.com. At 3 in the morning, as snow or rain tinkled on the roof, I watched a video of 5 separate exercises - by physical therapist Ron Miller from Wisconsin - for people with my back problems.

At last there was hope! I'd done exercises before but was dismayed by all the pain I was in. Shit, I said, I'm gonna do them anyway. So I lay in bed and did a series of exercises.

Shockingly, when I awoke this morning, there was a significant diminishment of pain.

I also learned how to sit correctly at the computer. The screen is eye-level, my legs planted firmly on the ground. I will arise from the computer every 10 minutes b/c our bodies and our backs need to get blood flow and nutrients which are hampered in the sitting position.

Yes, I did my research last nite. I will not be a victim anymore!

Bill Dixon from state Rep Tom Murt's office is helping me write a grant for New Directions. We discussed the crazy weather outside. My street has waves of slush in the middle. When I walked outside my clogs crinkled thru the odd slushy inch or two on my sidewalk.



Looks like trees are encased in diamonds


What a relief that I won't have to pay my Keystone Health Plan East bill anymore

When I told Sandy, the ins. lady, I was going off cuz I'm now covered by Medicare, she said, Well, Ruth, you still have three days before Medicare kicks in. I think you should protect yourself by paying the next month's premium - of nearly $600.

No thank you, I said, I'll take my chances.

Looking around my living room now - I'm typing on the couch - I'll tell you the most wonderful thing I see. But it can't be insured.

Icicles - click twice on image to see them in their full melting glor

3 comments:

  1. About five or six years ago, I was suffering terrible back pains, I think from slinging cameras around all these decades, so I went to a chiropractor and she gave me many exercises.

    The back pains pretty much went away.

    I haven't done them since I lost my shoulder, but the pains have not returned, except every now and then, briefly and not as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your pains haven't return, mr K, we need you to take your photos for your award-winning blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your research re the back stuff pays off and you can conquer it as much as possible. Yes, the posture can aggravate it and esp at the computer. I am a guilty offender.

    ReplyDelete