Monday, December 6, 2010

Presenting.....The Compass!

My fear, when riding in the backseat, is that a cop will see that I'm not belted into place and give me lip, like, You think sciatica is bad...how bout your body catapulting outa the car. Fort'ly that didn't happen when Ada drove us to the printer to pick up The Compass. Seven heavy cartons that Mark Amos dollied out to her car.

Scott and I both took an issue upstairs to read before our nap. "Read the Editor's Corner," I urged him. That sets the tone for the rest of the mag.

Main problem w/the Compass was I was the only proofreader. (Did you know my son Dan was on the proofreading team at Forbes mag?)

It's nearly impossible to get it right when you proof your own stuff. What I'd do was read each article FIVE TIMES - at different times - to make sure I got it right. I'm actually afraid to read the Editor's Corner for fear of finding mistakes. Or, actually, sounding stupid.

Berber carpets get their name from a North African tribe who wove carpets with big and small tufts. Gary Fleet of Fleet Carpets brought in many samples of rugs but the berber was my favorite. May I introduce you to...my new carpet...

I sat on the steps and watched for a few seconds while the 2 guys laid it down. They had so many tools! Each served a particular purpose. We talked about the dreadful economy, which is why they each work several carpet jobs, and how there's no middle class anymore. One guy left his Wawa coffee here which I just found and spilt down the drain. Smelled great! One of those French vanilla jobs that has hidden calories.

Here's Scott in his kitchen. On weekends, he cooks for the whole week. Before we read the Compass he made me a delicious bowl of oatmeal - good any time of day - with maple syrup and cinnamon - and half glass of cranberry juice.

Then we settled back to leaf thru the 40 pages of the mag. Articles include "The Life and Times of a Tamed Druggie and Thrillseeker" - "She's Smart, Beautiful, and Schizophrenic" - and "Claudia chases a dream: Her cyber affair."

You see, in a 'mental health magazine' just about everything fits!

So, what dyou have planned for the rest of the evening? I'm listening to WRTI-FM, the jazz station, who just noted it's Dave Brubeck's 90th b'day today. Take five! After I sign off here, you'll find me watching - vat else? - documentaries. I do my back exercises as I watch.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Think my comment got lost. I will comment later on carpet and carpet poem. Just want to say congratulations on the Compass. It looks great. May I have a copy if I pay for postage and magazine, or is it just for members? You can let me know privately. Also want to say not to beat yourself up over any small errors. I have been in your shoes and know that if you are the one doing most of the work and proofing you are bound to miss a few things. It takes a fresh eye to find small things you might have missed. Nobody but you will care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comforting reply. will definitely send you a copy plus the yes i can booklet. it takes me xtra-long b/c of my bad back. (can't stand mentioning it)

    i usually ask people to help proof it but everyone was too busy.

    looking f/w to your comment on my poem.

    ReplyDelete