Monday, December 20, 2010

Lunar eclipse tonite!

Since it's a lunar eclipse - and not a solar - you can actually look at the moon. Follow along with NASA.

Four hours ago I sat in the living room with colorful needles sticking out of my left arm, then right, and finally into my ankles.

Have you heard of Einstein's definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Acupuncture has never helped me. But my friend "Polly" - she'd kill me if I used her real name - brought her acupuncurist friend Uri over - and we had a nice social visit while he tried to help me get relief from my sciatic pain which STILL ISN'T BETTER by a longshot, tho I doubt I'll have to conduct the orchestra tomro night from my sleeping bag.

Polly was at my birthday party and noted my extreme debility. Is that a word?

We sat and talked. Ari, the son of a Holocaust-survivor mom, was born in Israel. He returned there at 38 and served in the army. Hah! Rifles loaded and ready. I told him and Polly that I read the online NY Times headlines and they had a special video section today on the Afghan war, as told by enlisted men.

It was fascinating. One captain was 28 when he enlisted. He was studying lit at Yale and was deeply disturbed by Abu Ghirab and decided then and there to enlist to make things right. He was just promoted to a really important position and shared with viewers his worries of screwing up and getting his men killed.

Now that's responsibility!

Since we're all Jewish we began talking about the Nazis. I told them I fall asleep by watching DocumentaryHeaven.com (I wear my cervical collar so my neck won't come out of its socket) and I actually don't look at the screen, just listen.

Well, last nite there were Home Videos of Hitler at his retreat in Bavaria. My neck be damned! I couldn't take my eyes off these most powerful people in the world, strolling around as if they were getting ready for a game of golf or dinner in the Alps.

I also said I watched loads of footage about Chairman Mao taking over the entire country and defeating Chiang Kai Shek who was pushed all the way into Formosa, Hong Kong.

This is better than sleeping, witnessing the way of the world.

After Ari and Polly left, I ate a poached apple (the apples were going bad so I poached em in water) and then went right to bed.

I was exhausted. The test was to see if I could sleep w/o watching a video.

Success, easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment