Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day After

Oh no! I'm the laffingstock of the nation. The photo of my beautiful bread fell off my blog and into the ocean. What does my unconscious have to say about that?

Looks good enough to eat but I filled up with leftover turkey - delicious! - stuffing and two pieces of pie from the Giant supermarket which was not too sweet.

More tests this morning to determine if I'm good to go for a kidney transplant. Linda drove me over to the Schilling Campus of Abington Hospital for an ultrasound of forgotten organs, arteries and veins. My technician Karen Fuller was terrific and said we finished up quicker than she'd envisioned. This, despite my asking her numerous questions.

I mean, it was sooooo interesting seeing your innards exposed on the machine. 'What's that?' I'd ask her. 'Your spleen,' she said. 'What's it for?' 'Immune system and red blood cells.'

The noises our innards make! ga-lumph ga-lumph.

Natch, I asked her if she could tell me how things looked inside, and of course she said she couldn't, only the doctor could.

She did tell me, however, my gall bladder was black and filled with bile.

Is that good?

Yes, she said, That's why we tell you not to eat or drink for 6 hours prior, so we can see the bile. BURP!

Spent an inordinate amount of time on the online NY Times. They published their opinions of best books of the year. I was panicking cuz I'm nearly done w/Furious Love, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's Marriage of the Century.

I'll reserve them online at my library, books like:

LIFE by Keith Richards of the Stolling Rones

A GREAT UNRECORDED HISTORY: A NEW LIFE OF E. M. FORSTER by Wendy Moffat

SIMON WIESENTHAL: THE LIFE AND LEGENDS by Tom Segev.

Great fun reading excerpts online.

Here's a conundrum for you. Once I get on my laptop, why is it so hard to get off? What is the magic spell, the bewitchment that electronic media produces? Books have always been my great love, and I have plenty of time, these sciatic days, to read, but I've gotta de-magnetize myself from the computer.

1 comment:

  1. Love the video. Thanks. Love the opening lines of this blog post!

    Our innards are indeed highly interesting and it would be nice if we could view them with impartiality like some TV show we don't much care about. I remember your beautiful breads. Have made a few in my day too but don't because they are soooo good and I eat too much. Glad you are still baking.
    Damn gall bladder. Tell it to BE QUIET. You have enough going on and don't need to hear from that upstart organ.

    ReplyDelete