Friday, September 24, 2010

What's in a Friday? Crusade, poetry not, cauliflower

Tokyo Story

No sooner did the Times recommend 'The Tokyo Story' than I reserved it online at my library. And watched the entire 2 1/2 hours in five sittings.

Since I watch all movies in bed - yawn! - I always fall asleep at some point. Here's what I discovered to remedy the situation. The moment I find myself drifting off, I press the Pause button and go to sleep.

An interesting thing happens as I begin to fall asleep. The 'hypnogogic' effect comes on and I go deep into a world of very strange thoughts, all plot-driven, just like a real dream.

So, I began the movie last nite around 11 pm and finished watching it at 9 am.

It's been acclaimed as one of the best films ever made. Filmed in post-war Japan in 1953, it's the tale of aging parents who travel to see their children who have always been 'too busy' to visit them. Sound familiar?

Filmmaker Yasojiro Ozu (1903-1963) concerns himself with the lives of very ordinary citizens but lifts them up into universal figures who, as they age, ask themselves, What is the meaning of life, have I left a legacy for my family, have I been everything I might have been.

They both conclude that they had high expectations which were slowly dashed during their lifetime but philosophically accept their limits and their children's. Ozu's films were always concerned with family even tho he himself lived with his mother and remained unmarried and childless. His grave bears the Japanese character 'mu' which stands for nothingness (!)

I enjoyed the photographic loveliness of each precisely arranged frame, which like a still-life, was filled with purposeful objects that underlined the themes.

SEPTA regional rail heading into Willow Grove station

Chrysanthemums which show effect of a genetic mutation. Note that all the fleurs are white except for one yellow one.

Every day I get an email from Chow.com with a recipe. This time it was for Broiled Cauliflower.

Scrumptious! I made it my way. Dipped each floweret in a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice. Then put it in an oiled Pyrex and sprinkled black pepper on top. I was quiet shocked at how delicious it was. The lemon juice gave it a sharp piquant flavor much like salt, which I don't eat.

Bill Hess's blog features the magnificent polar bear. I left a glowing comment. But, look, he's already published another blog today called Five Studies on Jobe, his grandson. It's a must-see! Visit Bill in Wasilla here.

On my To-Do list today: Followup phone call to CEO. Dutifully, I dragged my tired ass into the kitchen, pressed *70 to block all incoming calls, and called Nancy, the CEO's secretary. She said he handed the problem to the Assistant VP to handle.

Good! We're getting closer to changing the system. Here's the email I sent to Nancy, with the heading of Creekwood Mental Health Center:

Hi Nancy,

I'm following up on my letter to Larry Merlis of September 18, in which I asked his help for patients in a mental health crisis when they are seen at your Creekwood Mental Health Center. Specifically, I am advocating for the OpenAccess system where a block of free time is set aside on a doctor's schedule for patients in crisis. This would avoid the tragic deaths of patients who take their own lives while waiting for an appointment, as did our Justin XXX, a wonderful young man of 27.

Thanks for your help in this all-important "crusade" which has galvanized Justin's parents and given them reason to hope that their son did not die in vain.

With high hopes, I am

Ruth Z Deming, MGPGP
Director
New Directions Support Group for Folks with Mood Disorders and their Loved Ones
held at Abington Presbyterian Church
www.newdirectionssupport.org
215 659-2142

I sent Bill Kulik, my prospective poetry teacher an email with the heading 'the best-laid plans gang aft agley!' His poetry class was canceled for lack of students! Oh, dear, what's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment