Monday, September 27, 2010

The fearsome dragon lady returns early from vacation

Scott and I dropped everything and went to the shore when we heard it would rain all week. We had two great days of partial sunshine and had loads of fun. Photos coming later.

Meantime, what could be better than getting home in the middle of the afternoon, with the schoolbuses rolling in, and unpacking my TAKE-OUT LUNCH from Opa's, a Greek gyro place we always visit in Ocean City NJ run by Gustav, "Gus" for short.

We got there around 1 pm and his door was locked. I rapped loudly. Could be in the back. No answer. I started walking away and then....Gus opened the door, looking like he'd just woken up. He propped open the door.

He was open for business. At first I was gonna order one of his delicious lamb gyros (say yero, rhymes w/hero) and then I remembered I gave up meat.

He showed me the menu. Aha! Babaghanoush (made with roasted eggplant) and Hummus (made w/chickpeas) - both kidney-healthy foods.

I told him not to give me olives cuz I can't eat them and he substituted them w/red peppers! A good man.

So here I am, blogging AND dipping triangles of pita bread into the baba and hummus. I am in heaven!

I'm also ecstatic that both Stephen Weinstein and Coach Iris like my poem "My New Religion." As you may remember, I believe I've lost my writing-poetry touch, so maybe it's come back. I prayed to Kali and Allah, Jehovah and Jesus to please restore my talent. I forgot to ask for the restoration of my kidneys and we no longer live in the age of miracles so I'm in a slow kidney fizzle-out.

While reading the book Wolf Hall by Hilary someone - fantastic! - winner of the '09 Man Booker Prize - the life of King Henry 8th and Thomas Cromwell and Cardinal Wolsey - I thought of 2 poems to write. If only I could remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment