Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Down to the Seashore

Castaway Cove Amusement Park where Scott and I amused ourselves by not going on any rides.

Did I ever tell you about Euclid Beach? Our family would go there once a year in Cleveland, Ohio. Once, while riding on the Flying Turns I briefly passed out. From then on, I just stuck to the Thriller and Humphrey's taffy, made w/vinegar, available online today as are the popcorn balls.

For a kid, these are the most marvelous treats in the world.
Hey, that's me on the Flying Turns.

Euclid Beach was 45 minutes from home. Dyou believe my father led us in singing songs on the ride over? We did rounds of Row-row-row-your-boat. I'll have to ask sister Donna about some other songs we sang while we've still got our minds.

Oh, the noises this ride made! Whooooooosh!

A carousel is a thing of beauty. I couldn't resist photographing this prancing horse.



The annual Corvette show was held right on the Ocean City NJ Boardwalk. Chalk lines told the drivers where to drive as they paraded their cars like beauty queens. I wondered about that all-important word 'infrastructure' and if the municipality checked the undergirdings of the wooden boardwalk to make sure it was strong enuf to hold 450 (!) Corvettes.

The procession began at the Airport. Clubs from the tri-state area massed at the airport and then drove down to the Boardwalk. Can you hear them revving up their engines, gentlemen? What a loudly lordly lovely sound. Make my next car a ....Corvette?

I only drove in a Corvette once. A friend of mine, Mike Burke, who was studying law at Widener U asked me to speak to his law class about bipolar disorder, god only knows why. Anyway, we rode down in his midnite blue corvette.

This guy even detailed his gas gauge.

Say hello to Phil from Vineland, NJ. He's the third owner of his car. He paid about $22,000 for this model, worked on it for three years, before calling it complete. It's a beaut. He's even got a leather case for his side-view mirrors.

Keep your hands on the wheel. Well, actually, Scott is driving and I'm reading my book. I move my legs around a lot to keep them from stiffening up.

Thanks, Gus, for the wonderful hummus and babaghanoush, dipped in newly grilled pita bread.

1 comment: