Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What's in a day? The seeds of night

Owner of Yalda, an Afghani restaurant on Horsham Road in Horsham, PA. He speaks to family every day in Kabul. I asked what language they speak and he rattled off 3 different languages.

Like funnel cake, he told me, when I picked up this dessert. When we're not familiar w/something we compare it to something we know. Seemed like a strange comparison.

Beautiful rugs covered the walls and floors, all made in Afghanistan. The owner's nephew, A.J. -- 'Afzali'-- went to school w/my son Dan. A.J. has 4 kids. Family is the most important thing to most people. If you create your own family, made up of friends, it's called a 'family by choice.' I learned that today when reading an online piece and will forget it by tomro. But YOU remember it!

Guilt, when used in moderation, is one of the healthiest of defenses, and resulted in my making this delicious refreshing iced mint tea.

"Why are you growing all these mint leaves?" I asked myself this morning, "if you're not using them?"


After I drove Scott to the train station I traveled home and my lights shone on a PECO truck on our street. I was stunned by the beauty of the aquamarine reflector panels on the back of the truck.

I drove all the way around the block so I could photograf them for you. The photos came out terrible BUT as surrealistic works of art they're not half bad. Reminded me a bit of my friend Carl Yeager's photos.

Ever see a movie that not only stays w/you but influences you as well? We watched Food Inc. this afternoon. For sure, I'm not eating at the new Sonic Burgers restaurants, tho I ran off to the nearest Chipotle for a healthy Mexican grill meal that filled me up to my eyebrows. No popcorn for Ruthie tonite! Only a few chunks of watermelon. Some Rainier cherries perhaps. A handful of sunflower seeds. Any pickled cucumbers left?

No comments:

Post a Comment