Tuesday, July 13, 2010

TV photos

This woman follows me wherever I go.

Keir Dullea, now 74, discussing his role in Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece Space Odyssey: 2001 The film will be aired next week. I think I've seen it six times.

Final scene in Fear Strike Out as Jimmy goes back on the ball field after having ECT and psychotherapy. Scott and I watched this film at dinnertime. He said it was tough to watch cuz it was about Jim's mental breakdown. My favorite line took place in the psych ward. The shrink asked Jim to talk about his dad, who we witness is very tough on Jim, driving him very hard. Nothing is ever good enuf for ole dad, played to perfection by Karl Malden.

I owe my dad everything, said Jim, played by the tall lanky Tony Perkins. I owe him everything...look where I am today. He had just had ECT for his catatonic depression.


Fear Strikes Out by Jimmy Pearsall. Scott was surprised I knew so much about Piersall. Wait a minute, I said, running upstairs, checking my email, getting some ice water, and then running up to the top shelf in my bedroom.

I plopped the book in front of Scott. "You own this?" he said. "Yeah, I bought it as a teenager."

No comments:

Post a Comment