Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm on the Kidney Recipient List at Einstein in Philly along w/90,000 nationwide, many of whom die while waiting!

Scott and disappearing man with blue umbrella. Twas Commencement Day in University City

Early dinner at the famous White Dog Cafe. Sarah wanted to relive memories of eating there while a student at Abington Friends.

My shirt matches the sculpture donated by the Bermans. When I worked at Art Matters mag, I interviewed Muriel and Philip Berman. He was the CEO of Hess's Dept Store in Allentown and known for donating sculptures across the Lehigh Valley & beyond. Phil had spoken w/British sculptor Henry Moore by phone on the day of our interview.

All-day appt. at Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia. Very well-organized Kidney Transplant Team. Sarah and I were very impressed. I liked it much better than the Jefferson approach. Its new director, who hails from Egypt, widened the criteria for accepting transplant patients. Einstein leads Philly in no. of kidney transplants done, beating out second place HUP, then TJ and TU.

Columbines. Gave Sarah a tour of my garden since she lives in a fourth-floor walk-up in Bklyn.

Dahlia - begonia - heliotrope

Red poppies

Dan, Nicole and Grace Catherine. That nite, Dan watched the horror flick The Human Centipede where a crazed surgeon grafts himself and some coeds into a human centipede. I told this to my kidney nurse-coordinator Paige who said she'd love to see the movie. "100% medically accurate" screamed the blurb. Gee, I hope my transplant is 100% medically accurate. Einstein has a 95% success rate of transplants meaning that 5% of us die during and right after surgery. Gotta hurry & finish my novel just in case! Don't worry, I'll miss you when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment