Sunday, May 2, 2010

NAMI Walk "for the mind of America"



New Directions participated with a big yellow banner. So did dozens of other groups. We walked 3 miles around a paved path at the lovely Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, PA, where the grass was so green I wished I was a horse with big yellow teeth so I could munch on it.

Christine relaxes after the walk. We ate healthy snacks provided by NAMI including apples, baby carrots, tiny boxes of raisins, and salted pretzels. I had a bite of Christine's and picked off the salt.



The visionary Joseph A Rogers of Mental Health Association of Southeastern PA gave a rousing intro to the Walk. "I'm glad you said you had bipolar d/o like I do," I said to Joseph who works downtown.



The Funny Farm is a gathering of therapy animals. Our Peggela was so sorry she had to miss the walk as these adorable animals, esp. the furry burros, make her laff. A sense of humor is important when you have these illnesses.



Emma is getting ready for the walk. She belongs to a counseling student at the Pennsylvania School of Osteopathy where our Pamela graduated w/a degree in shrinkology.



Tom is ready to ride home on his Harley. He's a crane operator working in Jersey City. I told him when I lived in SF w/my black boyfriend Curtis Branch he wanted to become a crane operator but, in 1966, they wouldn't let blacks in the union out there. Tom, a third-generation crane operator, said they hire blacks today.



Tom & I had a good discussion under a shady tree. I told him I was married only once but had had lots of boyfriends, including a great boyfriend now.

Which would you prefer? he asked. Lots of boyfriends or one good man.

Definitely lots of boyfriends, I said. You learn so much about people & their families by going out with them. I love variety. Then we all shared stories of failed relationships. Great stories! Remind me to tell you sometime how I had to sneak out of my 5-year-marriage so my husband wouldn't have a 'rage attack' on me.

I was terrified of his anger and didn't wanna bring up little Sarah w/an angry man,not to mention in utero Dan.

When I got home from the walk I had the great pleasure of chatting w/Roberto while I:

- Kneaded my cornmeal-whole wheat bread (only 17 more minutes and it'll come out of the oven.

- Made egg salad for my first day as a Census Enumerator post-training

Scott and I will now watch La Dolce Vita, the signature Fellini film.

2 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to say I love the new pictoral look. Have been really busy lately. Is this a new camera? Very sharp and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always a pleasure to hear from you, iris! i figgered you were very busy, like moi, your local census worker!

    ReplyDelete