Monday, May 31, 2010

Linda, Cornbead & Kidneys



Linda is the new librarian of New Directions. A prolific poet and reader, she recommended that Scott and I visit the Folger Library when we tour DC in June. She saw Othello there, a play about the ravages of jealousy.

Linda attends our monthly Writers' Group and presented 2 poems last week: Lady Autumn and Sister Agnes. A devout Christian, she believes that "God saves us through His Grace." She attends church and Bible studies. She is also working on a novel.



Baked this cornbread this morning and brought a couple pieces over to Neighbor Sue. Her kids loved it. Her dad recently died from kidney failure so I told her about my failing kidneys due to ingestion of lithium for 16.5 yrs. She said a man down the street is facing dialysis.

I asked a few questions like What's his energy level. Very poor. I'm fortunate cuz I haven't reached that point yet. I've got lots of energy but I do love my naps.

Doctors do not tell you about adhering to a restrictive diet to prolong kidney health and postpone dialysis. Mary Ann Moylan, nutritionist at the Willow Grove Giant, put me on a kidney-healthy diet which I adhere to cuz I do not want dialysis. It ruins your body. Average lifespan is 5 yrs.

Spoke to my friend Lillian who's been on dialysis for 8 yrs. She's doing well but gave me added reinforcement for staying on my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment