Sunday, May 23, 2010

Our Happiness Seminar


Researchers in positive psychology coined the term hedonic treadmill to describe the 'high' a person gets by doing one great thing after another. I got a mild high by seeing all the people who showed up at our Happiness Seminar yesterday at the Huntingdon Valley Community Room.

Dana Vellios, our speaker, (L), talks with someone after her PowerPoint presentation. Dana is a counselor at an elem. school in Delaware County and runs groups for kids!

Two grim-faced participants after the program.

"I really liked the speaker today!" Peggela wrote in an email. "I especially think that everyone over 20 would benefit from a seminar like this!"

A couple of things stuck in my mind. One was about repairing a relationship. Say you have a fight with your partner or other loved one, which produces a load of negativity in your brain. You'll then need about 5 positive interactions with them to maintain the positive balance in your brain.

If the fight concerns something to do with work, we take it much harder than in our personal lives.

The one concerns relationships in our personal lives, the other with the outside world.

After the seminar we congregated in the parking lot and chatted, me looking at my watch cuz I had to get to my Writers' Group. I hadn't been there in months and missed everyone. But where were the boys? Chris and Bob never showed up. I wanted their thoughts on my Houses on a Checkered Tablecloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment