Friday, March 12, 2010

"Without work all life goes rotten"

So said Albert Camus.

I couldn't agree more. When I found I had time on my hands during the day, I took a chance and emailed a local paper asking if I could write for them.

I crafted my query letter carefully and sent it off, thinking I'd never hear from them.

Next day, the editor wrote back, saying he had an assignment for me, do I take photographs.

Sure, I wrote back.

That meant I had to master taking photos with my quirky Kodak.

Made a trip to my son's house so he could help me.

All went well when I interviewed Lynne Whitsel.

Because I needed to squeeze article-writing time into my schedule, I was more efficient than usual. Our brains are wired to work. My brain likes to work at least 10 hours a day, with naps in between.

So, I began working on my novel at a more ferocious pace -- popcorn sustains me, when I write -- and I finished the first revision on Monday before midnight.

What a relief. I actually like the novel. When I don't like what I read, I say, How can I make this more interesting to myself? My teacher puts check-marks on parts she likes. I've excised whole sections that I don't like.

I sent my teacher a note on Facebook - it seems less intrusive than sending her an email - and I told her my progress and that she was right about the need to flesh in my Quito-born character who I'm terribly in love with.

I wandered senselessly all around town last nite searching for Angel Guerrero. What's a lovesick author to do?

2 comments:

  1. Boy, you really move on that novel!

    Are you going to share the article on Lynne Whitsel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. one reason i move so fast on the novel, bill, is i can't working on it over and over and over again. and, yes, i'll share the whitsel story when the editor gives me the link!

    ReplyDelete