Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thank God for the new Healthcare Reform Bill / Meatloaf Recipe

I wrote those very words on the back of my envelope to the MIDDLEMEN who take c/o my health insurance. And I wrote the message on a scrap of yellow paper b/c I am so thrilled with the bill.

Since I'll be 65 in December of this year, I'll no longer have to pay my $555 monthly premium, since I'll be on Medicare, plus some supplemental insurance.

I celebrated the passage of this historic bill with Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Vice President Biden, who proclaimed its passage a "big fucking deal" by munching on popcorn and grapes and drinking ice-cold water on tap.

Cleaned up my living room today cuz I thought Mummy was coming over, but she doesn't feel well. (Sorry, I've taken on the language of Sarah Layton of the excellent 1984 British series Jewel in the Crown.) Mummy has her good days and bad days, and today turned out to be a not so good day, so I cleaned it for naught. It does look rather nice, though. I'd spread out the four paintings I did in painting class to show her.
I do luv Mummy, you know.

Daddy, who's been gone nearly half my life now, once said these immortal words about his mother/law...my mean Gramma Lily. She was, at the time, in her early 80s and was the miserable human being she'd always been.

Daddy said something like this: "She should be getting ready to meet her maker instead of complaining all the time."

Might we say this about Mummy, too?

I'd like to go over there today and bring her some of my meatloaf.

I thought Scott would swoon over it like I did, but he had a good point when he said, "It ain't cooked enough. Will I get sick?"

He was correct about the baking. I'd treated it like bread, not meat, and stuck it in a non-preheated oven for 45 minutes. The top looked done, so I removed it. The smell was overpoweringly delicious and I confess I was starving, removed it, and ate three huge and delicious pieces.

I gave Nick Breslin (our Mon/Weds phone greeter) the recipe over the phone. Now I shall give it to you, over the Internet.

MEATLESS MEAT LOAF

Into a large bowl, put

- 1 pound of ground chicken or turkey meat

- 1/3 cup Filler, such as bread crumbs, sawdust, oats, dead stinkbugs, or -- and this is what I used -- cooked rice

- 1 grated carrot for extra nutrition (we like food around here, not vitamins)

- 1 small onion, grated

- 2 eggs (you can beat them off to the side in the large bowl so you don't have to dirty another bowl)

Before mixing everything -- and I do it w/my hands cuz I'm not afraid to get em messy, I'm a bread-maker, remember --

Get another large bowl and mix your TOPPING into it:

Since I don't eat tomatoes (I'm on a special kidney-healthy diet) I use:

- mayo, half cup

- spicy mustard, one-third cup

- honey

- 2 whole garlic cloves, pressed

Mix together till blended with a fork.

NOW get ready to build your meatloaf.

Into an oiled pan (sides and bottom oiled) put your meatloaf mix you mixed till blended with your fingers or a spoon.

Spread the top with the mayo frosting.

Bake at 350 for an hour or a speck longer.

Your house will smell fantastic, Share with boyfriend, would-be boyfriends, husbands (what's that?) and prepare to travel great distances with it to feed your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment