Friday, March 26, 2010

Serotonin update

I'm doing an informal study on my serotonin "happy bursts." Meaning whenever I feel suddenly slightly happy. What type activities produces these good feelings?

My study began yesterday when I was kneading my latest bread. I'd mixed all the ingredients, I had on my green Starbux apron and was blabbing away on the phone, when I turned the dough onto the kitchen table.

Adding unbleached white flour to the whole wheat and rice flour dough, I began my rockin and rollin motion, using the heel of my hand, when suddenly I felt an exhilaration of spirits.

The bread was beginning to accept all the flour and was turning from raw batter into dough. Altho I was distracted by the phone discussion, I intuitively felt that elevated feeling as the batter turned into bread dough.

The next serotonin surge was when I drove to painting class. Just the act of driving fuels my serotonin. I just love to drive. I guess I feel in command, powerful that I can wield an automobile. That's why whenever I buy a new one I make sure I have visibility out the window and have awesome pick-up.

Seeing my art teacher and classmates brought on the next serotonin surge. Chris Hall, I swear to god, was wearing jodhpurs in class. Quite the dresser. And I love "W.Babb" as he signs his paintings. He went missing last week cuz it was his birfday. I asked how he celebrated it. "My wife made roast beef and mashed potatoes."

"Can't get much better than that, Bill," I said. Of course I didn't tell him I don't eat meat (maybe a bite) and I avoid my all-time favorite mashed potatoes due to my kidney-healthy diet (potatoes are high in potassium).

Bill had a good point how color is probly the most important ingredient in painting. That's why he and I always check w/our teacher on how to create colors that are not muddy but are rich and deep.

When my therapy client was giving me her check this morning, I showed her what I painted last nite. It's not finished, I told her. I'd brought in a beer bottle stuck with my backyard forsythias. Since the beer bottle was a beautiful brownish-yellow I asked Chris what background color to paint.

Would green look good? I asked.

He nodded. To make the green, we used a little red mixed in with the green. It gave it a richness and a depth. The man is good.

After class I was faint w/hunger so attacked my new loaf of bread. Ate it while perusing the Times. Isn't that sickening all the charges against the Pope about the pedophiliac Father Murphy who molested over 200 deaf boys. He continued to do so after he'd been discovered until his dying day. Too bad there's not a judgment day.

Then I thought to myself, hmmm, I wonder if my latest newspaper article is online. Sure enough, there it was. You can read it here.

By now my serotonin was playing Ode to Joy by Beethoven, the last movement of his Ninth. You do know, don't you, that during my first mania -- which seems like yesterday -- I thought Beethoven himself was communicating with me.

What an honor! Our unconscious self is pure genius. The genius of the Creator -- Evolution -- who evolved us into thinking self-aware creatures. Scott and I were saying last nite, We could've looked like the dinosaurs and found each other stunning and voluptuous, but the way it worked out is we look like homo sapiens.

I'll never forget a bipolar man who once called me on the phone and told me he felt like an alien. We didn't talk much but I've never forgotten his statement. When we're born, we fortunately 'take' to other human beings. Ever seen that Twilight Zone episode where the woman had a pig-like nose and eyes, plastic surgery didn't work for her, and she was exiled with other creatures who looked like her.

Here's an interesting serotonin-upper. Was driving and listening to Caroline from the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album. Fab! I parked my car and sat listening to the end and came up w/an idea to jot down. I pulled out my PINK PAD I keep in the pouch on the driver's side.

Just seeing that g'damn pink pad filled me with joy!

Dyou spose something's the matter with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment