Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Many Uses of a Kitchen Timer

I have four of them. I left one of them in the Abington Library at my last breadmaking class.

Newest use is to set it for 30 minutes and only THEN can I check my emails since I'm hard at work on my novel. I've got 28 minutes before I can see if my daughter wrote me back.

Other uses:

Tonite I'm gonna watch a Kurasawa film on Turner Classic Films, in honor of his 100th birthday. Gee, he's even older than Walter, tho Akira is moldering in his grave. At 7 pm I'll set my timer so I don't forget to watch it at 8.

Breadmaking is the chief way I use the timer. Bing! Time to punch it down, time to let it rise. Sounds like boxing. Or wife-beating.

I set it for all cooking I do. That's why I don't burn things like MaMA does. Ya can't teach old ma's new tricks.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference. - Reinhold Niebuhr

No, I did not watch the Academy Awards. My timer was not set.

I also use it when I ride my stationery bike, setting the timer for 20 excruciating minutes, the most boring exercise ever invented.

I know, I know. Do something you like Ruthie! Does talking burn calories?

22 minutes left. I'm making great progress on my novel. I get up frequently from my desk, not only so I can see the beautiful world beyond my windows, but to give my neck a rest. Can you see me massaging my poor ole wrinkly neck now?

I love my neck and didn't mean to disparage it. It's taken me on a fantastic 64-year journey and I ain't dead yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment