Sunday, March 14, 2010

Good morning, sunshine!

At 10:17 a.m., I was standing in my kitchen eating breakfast. Drives Scott crazy. Sit down, relax, he says.

Me, I like to stand up when I eat.

So I'm standing in the kitchen eating my scrambled egg, grapefruit, and rye toast drizzled with olive oil, when suddenly I become aware that the kitchen is getting brighter. When I left Scott's house next door this morning, wearing a jacket and beret over my pajamas, it was drizzling. Days of nonstop rain. I braced myself for more of the same.

While I eat my breakfast, I walk around looking out my windows. Over the sink I can see the little woods behind my house. Tree buds are beginning to bloom. Can spring really be here? I gaze over at my forsythias. A yellow haze around them indicates a change in their status.

Suddenly I realize I'm glowing. Yes, I'm standing there in my kitchen all lit up. "I'm all lit up," I say, walking to the front door.

Sure enough, right above Charley's house is the fat ole sun -- hello, sun! -- it's been a long long time since I've seen your beautiful face. Stay a little while. Love me some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment