Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I walked in my clogs in the snow

It's started, Scott said, as he prepared to walk to the Willow Grove train station to get to his job at SEPTA click for photo. He's a troubleshooter on the elevated trains, meaning he fixes anything that breaks down.

Before he left we watched the excellent film Cross Creek w/Mary Steenburgen who played the writer Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. A writer such as myself loves seeing other writers in action, esp. when they work on an old manual typewriter like I used to do.

I walked out with him and watched him vanish thru the backyard and on thru the factory behind our houses, Keystone Screw. His steel-tipped boots made big footprints in the snow. I stood there blinking the snow out of my eyes and feeling my hair get wet.

The neighborhood was quiet. But there was Bill, Bill Adams, backing his car into the drive. Bill is the noisiest person on the street. He has a big booming voice. About once a month I send him an email. Sometimes I'll write him: Your backporch light is on or Can I come over and fax something?

He's a minor character in my novel and known as Bill Kelly. Am awaiting word from my teacher about what she thinks of the book. Maybe she'll drive over from New Jersey the way Maxwell Perkins, famous editor from Scribner's, contacted Rawlins to say he liked her work.

It's like a vacation staying over at Scott's house. My laptop is here and so are my J D Salinger books.

Let's take a quick peek at the snow. And you do it too!

Thother nite I stuck my head out my front door and there in the snow was a bunny rabbit. He looked up at me and the two of us stared at each other for a moment. I wonder if he was bewildered by the powdery white stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Was the bunny rabbit white? Or do they change to white down there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. all our backyard bunny rabbits are brown, bill.

    ReplyDelete