Monday, February 22, 2010

Daddypops Diner for breakfast

I parked in my usual spot on a side street. The winter air was crisp and clear. Piles of white snow and gray snow lined the streets. I wanted to see born-to-be-a waitress Mary who's been there 18 years. Would she remember me? I used to go there with Simon who would sit and smoke while I coughed next to him.

I wanted to refresh my memory about Daddypops since a crucial scene in my novel takes place there. At first I named the diner Hotdaddy's but figured it's better to use the real name, just as I'm using the real Abington Hospital and Chandler Hall Nursing Home. I don't say anything too outrageously terrible about any of these places.

A woman slid into the seat next to me w/her son, home from school since today is some school holiday, Washington's birthday. The woman was talking about some tumors she had removed. She was right next to me, talking to the waitress and on her cell phone. Ya know what? I did not feel like talking about cancerous tumors.

You sure eat healthy, she said to me.

It's important to eat healthy, I said, thinking (eating healthy might help your cancer).

Ever had grits? I asked.

Yeah, when I was younger, she said.

They're delicious, I said, smearing the butter over them. My scrambled eggs were wet, just like I asked.

Is Ken in? I asked the waitress.

He'll be in after 2, she said.

I knew Ken's wife, said the lady next to me.

Shame she had to die, I said. She was so young. (Brain tumor)

The lady next to me had a good relationship with her son who's at the same high school my son went to. He works part-time at Wayne's Auto where my sister Donna takes her miserable car. They don't cheat you at Wayne's, we both agreed. They were surprised that I knew it was on Wyandotte Road or that I knew where the Settlement Music School is. Lynn teaches violin there.

Is that at Alverthorp Manor? I asked.

Yes, said Lynn. Most people don't know that.

Hey, I raised my kids here. I should know.

Just then Julius Pulaski walked in the door. That's the main character of my novel. I like to mix reality and fantasy in my blog. Julius comes in, looks around, and clops over to the jukebox in his black cowboy boots and straw hat. He looks at it and calls out, "Where's the classical music?"

Suddenly the diner is filled with the Archduke Trio by Beethoven. Pulaski removes his hat and sits next to me in the empty seat.

I figure I've spent enough time at Daddypops and should go home to work on my novel.

1 comment: