Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Happiest Day

Scott and I still talk about what we did on Sunday. His dad, also a movie buff, gave Scott a huge collection of his old movies. The two of us hungrily went through them, pulling aside the ones we want to see. Admittedly they were the selections of a man of different tastes than I have, though more congruent with Scott's likes.

I pulled aside two films and we agreed to choose between them. One was the Clint Eastwood film Flags of Our Fathers, thother was The Gene Krupa Story starring whatever happened to Sal Mineo.

Clint Eastwood won.

Before the film, we popped some popcorn in a huge pot. This is the first popcorn I've eaten since New Directions used to have our Monday Nite at the Movies and Tara used to bring in a huge bowl for everyone to share.

Neither of us could remember how to make popcorn. We read the directions on the package, spreading lots of olive oil at the bottom of the pot and then adding a layer of kernels.

It took several minutes before we heard the merry sound of pop-pop-POP.

Success! We poured the lot of em into a huge glass bowl and I said, The only thing missing is a great topping. My sister Ellen used to buy this yellow nutritional yeast and we'd put that on our popcorn.

Brewer's yeast, said Scott, opening his cupboard.

Sure enough, it was the same yeast as ole Ellie used to buy. I sampled it with my finger.

This is NOT brewer's yeast, I said. Brewer's yeast is different. It has a terrible taste and is used to supplement breads or cereal. This is totally different.

Scott's stubborn so I had to goggle Nutritional Yeast to prove I was right. I still think he doesn't believe me.

Anyway, we put a towel on his bed, and brought up our delicious snack and ate while watching the movie.

The movie was.....simply awful. You couldn't keep the characters straight, there was no plot, and you didn't know who was killing who.

C'mon, Clint, baby, you can do better than that.

But Scott and I were having a blast. We noted the different styles each other had as we hand-shoveled the popcorn into our awaiting mouths. That's part of the fun.

Simple pleasures, that's what we love most.

No comments:

Post a Comment