Wednesday, December 9, 2009

People will eat any ole crap and ask for more

Nothing like hot Creama Wheat on these chilly pre-winter mornings. I made the bowl sitting in front of me on my desk with dried cranberries, and, per the suggestion of Mary Ann Moylan, my nutritionist, cooked it in CoffeeRich to replace the milk I'm not allowed to drink on account of its high phosphorus content. We had a refresher course the other day further limiting my diet which I'll talk about shortly.

I have very sensitive taste buttons and can taste preservatives a mile away. The creama wheat tastes like crap. Here are the ingredients of CoffeeRich which, after it defrosts shall be flushed away to its final destiny. May it nourish the flailing stink bugs.

Water, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, mono and diglycerides, soy protein isolate, sodium stearoyl, lactylate, polysorbate 80, depotassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, artificial flavor, sodium acid pyrophosphate, colored with beta carotene.

Whatever got into me purchasing this makebelieve food? I was swayed perhaps by the new research Mary Ann did on my behalf - previous diets concentrated only on lowered sodium and potassium - but she and I both discovered the necessity to cut back on phosphorus.

Under her spell, I not only bought CoffeeRich but also Thomas English Muffins which stink of preservative when you open the pkg. I'm not allowed to eat whole grains due to high phosphorus content. All this, of course, to protect my ever-diminishing kidney function to avoid dialysis. So now we're low potassium, sodium, phosphorus and protein.

I liken my temporary conversion to buying the CoffeeRich to going into a spiritual Buddhist retreat and becoming a Buddhist. Long ago I proclaimed my strong unwavering atheistic tendencies which are hilariously documented in this Mark Twain piece I'm reading.

Click on Twain's Letters from the Earth. Scroll down and begin with the words The Creator sat upon the throne, thinking.

May God bless and keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment