Monday, November 30, 2009

Letter to Edward Espe Brown

on New Directions stationery

November 30, 2009

Edward Espe Brown
Peaceful Sea Zendo
Fairfax CA 94930

Dear Mr. Brown –

How I’ve longed to write to tell you how much I’ve loved the Tassajara Bread Book since receiving it as a gift. As a Jewish girl in an unhappy marriage in Austin, TX, some 30 years ago, your book gave me immense solace for a then unhappy life. Baking bread became the love of my life. I’d cut thick slices and serve it to my neighbors with loads of butter. Who would know that many years later I would teach The Ancient Art of Breadmaking at our local library and other venues?

I remember making chopped chicken livers back then in Married Student Housing at the University of Texas and serving them on your rye crackers complete with caraway seed. I cut the shapes with the removable top of the blender which resides now in my happy home here in suburban Philadelphia.

I like to think, Mr. Brown, I treat food with the same love and respect you do. I can’t bear to throw anything away – yes, I have a compost heap - so for example for breakfast this morning I have boiled a cinnamon stick and a spent lemon in some water and am drinking it as tea, adding a teabag of chamomile.

Although it is a rainy day here in Willow Grove, PA, my kitchen is always cheerful. I have some organic low-sodium chicken broth on my green table reminding me to make fish chowder today with loads of veggies from across this huge land we call America in addition to soaking succulent chick peas – how we love our delicious healthy foods, Mr. Brown! – and later I shall add some fresh tilapia bought at our organically-conscious supermarket.

Over Thanksgiving, my 35-year-old daughter Sarah introduced me to a Yellow Lemon Squeezer which has now found a permanent home in my kitchen.

You have long been there, as well, Mr. Brown, sitting on my recipe shelf next to the only cookbooks I own: the first edition of Joy of Cooking, Tassajara Bread Book (copyright 1970) and Tassajara Cooking (1973).

Wishing you many more days of happy love and cooking, I am

Very sincerely yours,

Ruth Z Deming

2 comments:

  1. If I ever go driving through PA, I will stop by for a loaf of hot bread. Please have some butter, honey, and coffee ready, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my pleasure, bill! in fact, i'm making a bread as we speak! i used to send my aunt ethel an occasional loaf of bread when i was miserable and lived in texas. i'd send it regular mail to her in cleveland. she was very appreciative and left us in her will. that's how i got my b'ful house!

    ReplyDelete