Monday, November 30, 2009

Bring out the Tassajara Bread Book!

Written in 1970 by zen priest Edward Espe Brown, my well-used copy of the Tassajara Bread Book is filled with my annotations and I blush to say my renaming of some of his recipes such as Honey Cheesecake Bars for his Cheesecake Cookies. But, I say to myself, what would a gentile truly know about Cheesecake even if Buddah loves him.

So. Wanting something different to serve with our delicious onion omelet for breakfast yesterday (and remember! I buy the most delicious fresh eggs that are laid just for me by local cage-free grain-eating hens) I leafed thru the book and found Flakey Biscuits. Sorry, Ed, but I've gotta rename them. Flaky they were not. Delicious and filling they certainly were.

When I was married and lived in TX biscuits were a staple in the diet. My mom/law used Pioneer Biscuit Mix and made the most scrumptious chicken and dumplings using the biscuit mix. I of course have always made things from scratch. So when it came time to make the Nonflakey biscuits my fingers remembered the procedure tho I hadn't done it for - what? - 35 years.

I was so prouda myself and got flour on my back from patting myself there.

Actually I was wearing my green Starbucks apron.

I've always wanted to write Ed a thank-you note and shall do so today on my New Directions stationery. Shall I enclose a brochure? Or my Steps to Recovery from Bipolar Disorder? Meditation is high on the list for many people with mood disorders. How come I can't get into meditating?

When I was biking yesterday I wondered if that activity constituted meditating, as I've often thought swimming does.

Scott and I biked on trails close to home on Pennypack Trails. At one point, I went faster than I've ever gone. You've gotta keep your eyes open for danger. We were on our way home, on a hilly street where a squirrel could dash into the street as could a car. We always wear helmets when we're out on the street.

Scott, the weightlifter, always feels it in his legs afterward. We can't figger out why my legs feel nothing. During our trek however the hills were so steep we had to push our bikes uphill. My heart was pounding outa my chest. "You all right?" Scott would call.

1 comment:

  1. So enjoyed this post. I have loved the Tassajara Bread Book for years and years, also. I've had mine since the 1980's and it is stained and well-used. Some favorites are cinnamon-raisin bread, cheese bread, cottage cheese pancakes, Turkish Coffee Cake Cookie Bars, which I have adapted somewhat with decaf coffee, etc. and which is a holiday expectation in Dec in our family, honey bars, and Tassajara Shortbread.

    Thanks for reminding me it's almost time to bake, though I need to remember my waistline as well and be careful not to go overboard.

    ReplyDelete