Friday, September 18, 2009

He loved his country so

Reporters are often criticized for printing the news but not getting involved. Some, however, like the NY Times' Nicholas Kristof are passionately involved in helping people in poor countries stand up to political oppression. He is esp. involved with women's rights around the globe. I subscribe to Kristof on Facebook where total strangers leave hundreds of comments for him.

Common Dreams is a progressive blog I subscribe to and rarely have time to read but today the top headline read Why I Threw the Shoe by the now famous Iraqi reporter who so eloquently tells his story here. Altho I know people will disagree w/him about this evil war, how can you read his words and not feel his pain?

The truth can slap people in the face but many of them are unable to believe it. You wonder if God almighty came down and took Iran's president by the hand and marched him thru Auschwitz and Dachau what the man would have to say.

You are probably wondering what smells so delicious in my house and what I'm popping in my mouth with such relish. Thanks for asking.

In the oven is a sweet-smelling whole wheat bread I dressed up with cinnamon and leftover cooked blueberries. My grandmother, who bragged about me to her friends, but treated me as if she hated me, called it "garbage bread" b/c I creatively introduced leftover ground-up fruit into my breads to make them even more delicious. Funny how the mean things people do to us last a lifetime.

The soup I'm zupping up right now is a thick chicken soup with rice and spaetzle (German egg noodles). Floating inside are simmered onions, bell peppers from my son's garden, chopped carrots, split peas which soften in only 45 minutes.

I am in heaven, eating and typing at the same time. You wonder if life could get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment