Saturday, July 18, 2009

Survey says

People take such good c/o me at our New Directions meetings. After the meeting, Mark carried out my 'box of tricks' as I call it to the car. "Just put it here in my lap," he said from his wheelchair. People had packed up the box for me while I was chatting with everyone at meeting's end.

We had another fellow there, "Aubrey," who returned after a year of trauma. He'd undergone ECT (electroshock therapy) which was lifesaving for him and he was back at work part-time. Amazing! And who guided him throughout his ordeal? Our own Peggela! She was amazing. Once she takes you under her wing, your burden is lighter and will be lifted.

Iris had a record-setting Authentic Happiness group with what looked to be 10 people gathered round the table. I wished I could've been in that group, maybe next time, but there were some folks at the bipolar table I wanted to catch up with. Funny, we were sitting there jabbering, and suddenly Mary's face lit up cuz someone new was entering the room. I just watched her face instead of turning around and then saw who it was - "Lola" (ah! what a perfect fake name for this beautiful sun-tanned woman) - Lola came specifically to THANK US for helping her get thru painful divorce memories and living as a solitary woman rather than part of a couple.

In fact, in our large group discussion we did talk about Dating and how to meet a partner. A super-attractive single gay man who attends a downtown renegade church for gay Catholics said he considered the dating scene 'Mission Impossible.' Everyone gave suggestions ranging from joining activities you enjoy to telling friends you're looking. One of our lawyer guys met someone on Match.com - he and his gal are in their 60s - and one of our nurses paid a matchmaker who set her up with a man she's been dating for several months.

Before the meeting I typed up a survey and made 40 copies on my printer while I ran in the kitchen to make dinner. Here are the questions:

I'm a patient with....fill in the diagnosis

I'm a loved one (relationship to patient)

What kind of health insurance do you have? Are you satisfied with its coverage of mental health
issues? Also mention if you have NO insurance and what you do about this. (Ask us about free care.)

How long have you been attending ND?

What do you find most helpful?

What suggestions do you have?

Guest speakers: Are you willing to attend our special programs off-campus on Saturday or Sunday?

Any ideas for guest speakers?

Would you recommend our group? What would you tell someone about us?

Are you happy with our Small Group Leaders?

Do you encounter any problems in the small group? Be specific.

*

You might say our ratings were all Tip-Top. One of the best suggestions we received from this anon. survey was "People should be reminded to speak their questions while standing so everyone can hear."

When asked what you find most helpful, one person said, "Drawing strength from others who have the same illness as I do. I also love the small group atmosphere." and "The group interactions and exchanging phone numbers and email." and "Most people are nice, open, and honest."

People wanted the following guest speakers, which I've already begun seeking out:

-A research scientist (perhaps I'll contact Roberta Ball again? Any other ideas?)

-An expert in ECT (Dr. Worthington gets top reviews; he's always available for the patient. However, he's really busy. Pause. I just made a phone call & asked one of our members to call him.)

-Therapists (I've already sent out a request for this)

No comments:

Post a Comment