Friday, June 26, 2009

The World Stops to Ponder / Happy Half Birthday

For nearly 20 hours, the Times top headline and dozens of side articles continue to focus on the death of Michael Jackson. Forgotten, for the moment, are the weighty issues of healthcare reform, the rebuilding of the economy, immigration reform, transparency in government, and most important, When will the next Compass magazine be coming out.

I too am swept away. I don't know why. Possibly b/c I work from home I have the luxury of sitting at the computer and listening to selected Jackson performances which fan my fires. I got up and danced a little to Billie Jean until I got a kink in my neck.

Yesterday I rose early to speak at the Horsham Rotary Group which meets at Silvestri's restaurant. I'm not used to driving in rush hour and was amazed at all the traffic. When the Rotary president asked if it was anyone's birthday, there were no takers, so I raised my hand and said:

RZ: It's my half-birthday today.

Andre: Which half.

RZ: The top half.

With that, they sang Happy Birthday to me! I was thrilled. I've never been embarrassed telling my age. I spoke for about 20 minutes, looking around at all the audience members, and then Andre broke in and said, Thank you Ruth! I was shocked. The time went so fast. I thanked them and said they'd been a great audience.

They presented me with a pen. I opened it and said, Great! It's got both a top and a bottom.

When I sat back down I said to Rick, my host, that I hadn't even practiced what I was gonna say. You don't need to, he said and told me he'd refer me to another Rotary group nearby.

On the way home I stopped at a garden nursery to see if they had any raspberry bushes. "Not unless I go home and pull out some of my own," said Sheila.

The quest for the bushes has stopped. I must say I'm pleased with my herb garden in the front yard. I make spearmint tea, I put basil over my mahi mahi, and rosemary in my eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment