Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Homemade yogurt

I make 3 cups of yogurt at a time. Here's how:

Bring 3 cups milk to a boil. I use whole milk b/c I believe our bodies need a certain amount of fat.

After it boils, let it cool for 25 minutes or until you can safely stick in your finger without getting burnt.

In a large glass bowl, put one tablespoon of your favorite yogurt.

Pour the hot milk over the yogurt.

Do not stir.

Cover the bowl. I use a small plate as a lid. I avoid using plastic as I'm one of those people who believe, erroneously or not, plastic is bad for you.

Put your fermenting yogurt in a warm place such as oven with a pilot light.

Check back in 6 or 8 hours. When all of its liquid has turned into yogurt, it's ready to refrigerate.

When cool, eat with fresh fruit.

Teach your kids how to make it. It takes less than 45 minutes, saves you money, raises your self-esteem and makes you stand out in a crowd.

What's next? I'm getting up my nerve to make lebne.