Friday, December 5, 2008

Company for Dinner

Just bid farewell to my online novel-writing class by sending them a mass email. Question is, without the class, will I be able to motivate myself to complete the book? I'm halfway done. It sounds easy, right, working on a novel. John Steinbeck had to chain himself to his desk like Andromeda on the rock. My best work is done at The Coffee Salon in Hatboro, PA, instead of at home next to the laundry room.

Woke up at 5:30 a.m. when I heard a cardoor slam outside. I ran downstairs and opened up my front door to see if someone was stealing something from my car. I have this nice dish from Brussels my mom bought me which I use to keep acorns and seashells in, also a pair of earrings in case I forget mine (a gift from a former client) and of course 2 watches. In the dead of night last summer someone stole something very precious from my glove compartment. Send me an E and I'll tell you what it is. I actually wrote a short story about it but I forget where it is. It's called The Dead Body.

When I looked out the door it was the man across the street zooming off to work.

Returning to bed, I began reading a new book Ada gave me by David Sedaris. It's about his family. After about 5 pages we realize our own dysfunctional family is NOTHING compared with his. My own mother tyrannizes me - to this day - whenever I speak to her on the phone. I'll call her in a good mood & within 60 seconds she starts bumming me out. Money, death, disease, and decay are her main topics.

She does it all in such a cheerful voice.

I think I better get going now before I hit heavy traffic. The morning has sped by. How does my hair look? Gotta buy dinner for the guests. Have you had your salmon this week?