Monday, December 8, 2008

Ask Dr Ruth

I'm not even gonna try & defend myself about the title of this blog. My friend Nancy calls me Dr Ruth. She's a very clever girl and an artist. Here's her recent question:

Q: oh, dr. ruth, i do remember you telling me to not hang out with "mentally ill" people...i have one calling me on a daily basis....i really do not know how to stop her from calling me. i lied and told her i was too depressed to do anything, and she said that she would be happy to come over and help me with any chores i needed. this is sad..........'Suzy' is a very nice person, but will not take any medication and is schizophrenic, i believe. i don't' know exactly what she is......but, not your garden-variety of friends of mine who tend to have spells of depression and anxiety......nope, she is in another league.
last summer i made the mistake of going to a movie with her and inviting her to 2 activities i was in .........one at a park and the opening for the aids task force art show. well, she attended them ...... and really has not called me for a long time. now.....DAILY !!!
so, i hope to hear from you soon. i am very, very grateful to be getting back to myself.......depression really sucks.

A: First of all, Dear Reader, & Dear Nancy, this is a perfect antidote to my previous blog where the situation made me feel like a dang fool. So by answering this, I'll feel better about myself. And remember, whenever something makes you feel like crap, do something IMMEDIATELY to make yourself feel good. And I do not mean eating an entire banana cream pie. (Do I have any crumbs on my blouse?)

A certain group of people court friendships with people with very serious problems. This is very unhealthy. Nothing wrong with having a few friends with terminal cancer, the hepatitises, stroke victims, Munchausen's by proxy, but - hey! - how about a few healthy friends to counter-balance the mix.

Continue being nice to Suzy. Let her understand that you're a busy woman, that you like her, but must divide your time between your other friends and activities. She may be clinging to you now more than ever since she senses you're trying to get rid of her.

We must always be empathetic yet our own needs must come first. Does that make sense?