Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Greed at Walmart kills.

Scuse me while I get a drink of water. That was a really thirsty dinner we had at Ooka's Japanese restaurant. They don't serve alcohol so Sarah volunteered to run across the street to buy saki. "I think I'll go with you to help you cross the street," I said. "The cars go real fast." Ethan assured me that Sarah would be fine.

We studied the menu. "Dan would you mind ordering for me?" I asked my son. What a relief it was not to tax my brain with all these unknown words ending in the letter i. I tried not to think about Sarah out in the dark nite crossing the street with motorists as fierce and raging (yes!) as Roman charioteers.

Soon enough My Little Darling arrived back at the table with a thick paper bag in her arms. "You're right, Mom," she said. "I almost got killed." Her own private James Bond movie. We'd just seen the new one - what's it called? - Quinona Solace or something like that. Reminded me of a very loud TV show you'd watch while reading a good book.

Let's toast our glasses of plum wine (could there be a more b'ful word?) to Ethan, Sarah & Dan who helped me set up this blog. Isn't the word plum such a lyrical delight? One of my very favorite poems is this 'un.